1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo, Is the job market really that bad??

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Ultrafin, Dec 5, 2011.

1. Dear Theo,

I just wondered whether for those of us returning to the classroom after a break to raise a family,is the prospect of a job really as unlikely as the "doom and gloom" on the forums suggest?

I have been out of secondary English teaching for 11 years, but am currently doing day to day supply, and have managed to secure a place on the OU Teach Again course here in Wales in order to get up to date subject experience plus the all important education reference. I have management experience, but realise that I am also very expensive, as I have 6 years teaching experience. Should I be considering a fall back option in a completely different line of work? Is the return to teaching for the over 40s with such a big gap in teaching experience no longer viable??

Time is ticking away, I'm not getting any younger, am I wasting my time even looking???