1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - is it worth volunteering one day a week in a school?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by lily_w, Nov 28, 2011.

1. lily_w

lily_w New commenter

As an unemployed NQT who graduated my Primary PGCE in July this year, I'm becoming increasingly worried about my lack of a job. I'm aware that the current cohort will be looking for jobs soon and so there will be even more competition. I haven't been in the classroom since my last teaching placement on my PGCE and I worry that if it comes down to a choice between me and a current PGCE student, they will choose them as they have more recent experience. The amount of supply in my area isn't great so that isn't really an option.
    I am thinking of contacting the school I volunteered at pre-PGCE and ask if they would let me volunteer for one day a week? I know I won't be getting paid, but at least it would give me some up to date experience in a school that I could mention in interviews. Is it worth doing this or will the Head be put off as I just look too desperate?

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Always worth a try- after all they can only say no!
    At best they'll grab you with both hands as an extra pair of hands and you'll gain some experience in the classroom and may get a reference out of it!

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, volunteering - as long as you can be sure that you will live up to the commitment - is a very good idea.
    You could suggest that you could release staff for some project, or for materials production. Or just team teach, which is a very good way of getting professional development.
    I am sure you've been browsing the forum to get ideas and tips, but just in case you haven't been here recently, here's a thread with some reminders of what to do to try and get a foothold on the slippery ladder of employment:
    Dear Theo ''application form horror!!''
    Very best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

4. Yes, go for it!! As long as you are able to commit, as Theo mentioned.
    I started volunteering in September as i hadn't secured a job for my NQT year. It was a way in for me and get myself known as now i am employed by the school as a paid cover TA working pretty much 4 or 5 days a week. Ok, it's not a teaching post but it is valuable classroom experience for me and i've learnt so much in the time i have been there. If i haven't got a teaching job for Jan then they are going to start using me as a cover teacher.
    Got an interview Wed for a Children's Centre post (Jan start, 2 terms) so fingers crossed for that one. However, if i don't get it i'll be happy to carry on as i am and concentrate on getting a job for Sept 2012.
    Go for it, you have nothing to lose and everything to gain by doing it.