1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo, Is a week long enough to shortlist?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by s4mm13, Dec 2, 2011.

1. Theo,
    I submitted an application for a job which closed last thursday and a week on I still haven't heard anything.
    Am I jumping the gun in assuming that I have been unsuccessful yet again?
    I really don't understand what it is I am doing so wrong... I have followed all the advice given both on here and from the seminar, had an experienced teacher check over my application and letters/statements (with the info from the ads to ensure I tick all their boxes) and I really felt that I would suit the school as have a lot to give and contribute to what they already offer as well as extras of my own.
    I'm feeling like my last chance is up today. If I can't get shortlisted in a school where I spent 18 months working as a member of the department, than I don't stand a chance anywhere!
    I knew getting a job to complete my NQT wouldn't be easy, but I really don't think I can carry on like this. The supply I have at the moment is helping, but it's not the full time post I desperately need.
    Don't know where to go from here...

2. I applied for a job that I really wanted (obviously any job is great but it was one I REALLY wanted) and the closing date came and went. I was so gutted about it and put all my thoughts to one side to focus on others. 3 weeks went by and I got a letter in the post asking me for interview, not even a phone call which I found odd. I got it! They could be getting references for everybody before even inviting you for interview, as that was the case for me. Good luck!!

3. Thank you Kitkat,
    This really does give me some hope!! :eek:)

4. This is a great idea, but I wonder if the person has experience of shortlisting. Often an experienced teacher who has been in post for many years might not be as 'hot' on the types of example / buzzwords to use in applications nowadays. Just a thought I had as I showed my applications to a Headteacher very experienced at shortlisting and to a class teacher who had been in post for 15 years, they both said vastly different things about my letter!!

5. You are welcome! It is really rubbish out there at the moment, that was my 8th interview too :)

6. I did find that i was getting conflicting advice from this person and Theo, so decided that a mix of the two, though heavier on Theo's advice, would be the best way to go.
    Just feeling really down about it all.