1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - interviews

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by ballerina, Feb 19, 2011.

1. ballerina

ballerina New commenter

Please help. I'm applying for deputy / assistant head positions at the moment, but I am absolutely hideous at interviews. I babble and come across so immature and weak - any excellent interview tips?

B

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Goodness me!
    Er . . .
    Have you actually looked at the Interview Tips?
    Inside the Welcome thread - a clickable full of advice. Really helpful!
    You missed yesterdays' seminars specially devised for those applying for Leadership posts, but there will be another one on a weekend sometime over the next 3-4 weeks. Keep an eye out for the ad for it on here.
    There's alwayst he indivisual one-to-one sessions on interview training, if you want to invest in your future.
    But look at the Welcome thread first!
    Best wishes
    The next Applications Workshop I'm doing that still has vacancies is on Friday 25th February. www.tesweekendworkshop15.eventbrite.com

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for more details of how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!

3. ballerina

ballerina New commenter

Yes i look at the interview tips and questions each time - but i doesn't stop me getting nervous on the day. I noticed that you are also doing a seminar on writing applications that includes the interview process - do you think that might help? I really do know my stuff, but just go to pieces during interviews! I had a couple of visits this week and felt I came accross really well, but if i do get an interview with them i expect to fall apart!

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

OK, if you have been trying to use the Interview tips, but to no avail, then you need more help.
    There are two options. Well, three really.
    1) Group help. If you come to a seminar there will be about 15-20 people (depends on the room we have). In the 2.5 - 3 hours we deal with writing an application, doing an executive summary, and interviews.
    The help and information is much fuller than just reading the on-line tips, of course, and since it's not a hall with 100+ people, you have the chance to ask Qs, and when you are doing the practical exercises on executive summaries, we get round to all of you.
    The next one is this Friday, either morning or afternoon. Costs £55
    tesweekendworkshop15.eventbrite.com

2) Individual help - 1. You can book via Julia advice@tsleducation.com to meet with me for 45-60 minutes. In this meeting we can either look at your application to improve it, and work out how to draw up an executive summary (I get you to send me your application and the job details beforehand, so I can prepare it), or we can do a bit of interview preparation.
    3) Individual help - 2 You can book via Julia advice@tsleducation.com to meet with me for half a day (2.5 hrs). This gives us plenty of time to do both the application and the interviewing practice, or just a very rigorous interviewing session. We can do more of one and less of the other basically, entirely flexible depending on your needsdepending on your needs. Say a bit on the application and exec summary, then a good long go on interviewing.
    None of this comes cheap, I'm afraid, although it is less than other appointment agencies charge, and it has the big advantage of having someone who actually knows about education doing it! TES charges (I think - not 100% sure as I don't get this money) £200 for the short session and £350 for the long one.
    Think of it as an investment. Think of how much you will earn in the first month of your new job.
    Best wishes
    The next Applications Workshop I'm doing that still has vacancies is on Friday 25th February. www.tesweekendworkshop15.eventbrite.com

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for more details of how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!