1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - Interviews: Some Questions

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by patchi, Dec 7, 2011.

1. Hello Theo and other readers.
    I have 3 interviews, one this week and two next week and I have a number of queries that I would like your opinions about.
    1 - Is is appropriate to ask about salaries at an interview? I ask this as two of these interviews involve a bit of travel and I know they would cost a fair bit to commute to each day. The packages the school gave me, do not provide this information. I know what the pay is for the positions concerned within my own LEA, but this is a different (and bigger) LEA. From other job adverts in this LEA, it gives me a fair idea what the salary could be but I would just like to make sure.
    2 - My interviews next week take place on back-to-back days, do I tell the schools this or will this affect the decisions they make? Or ask to wait for the result from the latter interview first? (Though, I can see how this would be frowned upon and should take any opportunity given)

3 - I have sent other applications out which are due to be shortlisted either tomorrow or Friday, with interviews next week. If I get shortlisted for any of these, is it appropriate to cancel an interview I said I was going to attend? As I can apply to three different counties from where I live, as they are all in reasonable distance from home, it might not be possible on one day to have interviews in two different counties due to length of travel between them.

Note: The interviews/applications waiting to be shortlisted are a mix of teacher/TA roles.

Thanks very much for reading.

2. Hello Theo and other readers.
    I have 3 interviews, one this week and two next week and I have a number of queries that I would like your opinions about.
    1 - Is is appropriate to ask about salaries at an interview? I ask this as two of these interviews involve a bit of travel and I know they would cost a fair bit to commute to each day. The packages the school gave me, do not provide this information. I know what the pay is for the positions concerned within my own LEA, but this is a different (and bigger) LEA. From other job adverts in this LEA, it gives me a fair idea what the salary could be but I would just like to make sure.
    2 - My interviews next week take place on back-to-back days, do I tell the schools this or will this affect the decisions they make? Or ask to wait for the result from the latter interview first? (Though, I can see how this would be frowned upon and should take any opportunity given)

3 - I have sent other applications out which are due to be shortlisted either tomorrow or Friday, with interviews next week. If I get shortlisted for any of these, is it appropriate to cancel an interview I said I was going to attend? As I can apply to three different counties from where I live, as they are all in reasonable distance from home, it might not be possible on one day to have interviews in two different counties due to length of travel between them.

Note: The interviews/applications waiting to be shortlisted are a mix of teacher/TA roles.

Thanks very much for reading.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Wow!
    Jolly well done!
    First thing to say is please go to the Welcome thread and read the Interview clickables in there. They give you tips and help, and also answer some of your questions.
    I assume from this that you have never yet worked as a teacher. There is a national salary range for teachers, and you'll get the appropriate point on it (the bottom one for NQTs) in 95% of cases. A Maths graduate might get more. So no point in asking.
    For the TA posts, of course you can ask - both hours of work and salary.
    This is answered in the Interview clickables. You are unlikely to be allowed to wait to give an answer, as the school will want a decision fast, so they can offer to candidate B if you turn them down.
    Q3 Yes, no problem - the other candidates will be delighted too!
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

4. Thanks for your reply!!
    The job that had no listed salary is a TA job, so was just checking :D