1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - Interviews lesson

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by nqt2011, Jan 5, 2012.

1. I passed my NQT year last year and currently am doing supply at one school nov-feb. I had too many interviews last year (around 10) but no jobs offers. I've had 3-4 interviews this academic year (turned one job offer down). I feel my two main problems are:
    My interview lessons (the offer I turned down was one of my better lessons) I would judge my average lesson as satisfactory - I talk too much and my management of practicals could be better.
    I teach science and was always told that finding a vacancy wouldn't be a problem - but it has been. I have noticed the number of vacancies have dropped in comparison to previous years.
    So my question - I have skimmed through the pimp your lessons book but what should I be doing in my interview lesson to secure a job ?
    second problem I did a career change to become a teacher and whilst teaching doesn't make me miserable I don't get much enjoyment from my career (possibly due to me being too concerned about finding a perm job ? (maybe not))

2. I passed my NQT year last year and currently am doing supply at one school nov-feb. I had too many interviews last year (around 10) but no jobs offers. I've had 3-4 interviews this academic year (turned one job offer down). I feel my two main problems are:
    My interview lessons (the offer I turned down was one of my better lessons) I would judge my average lesson as satisfactory - I talk too much and my management of practicals could be better.
    I teach science and was always told that finding a vacancy wouldn't be a problem - but it has been. I have noticed the number of vacancies have dropped in comparison to previous years.
    So my question - I have skimmed through the pimp your lessons book but what should I be doing in my interview lesson to secure a job ?
    second problem I did a career change to become a teacher and whilst teaching doesn't make me miserable I don't get much enjoyment from my career (possibly due to me being too concerned about finding a perm job ? (maybe not))

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

nqt2011
    Not quite sure I undertsand your problem.You say
    1 You say you need help with interview lessons, yet you <u>were offered</u> a job after 'one of your better lessons', which suggests that your interview lesson is not really the problem. Why did you turn the offer down?
    2 You say you've" had too many interviews last year (around 10)"How can one have too many? One can learn something from each one and many would envy you the opportunity to have just one interview.
    I think you may be nearer the mark when you say "teaching doesn't make me miserable I don't get much enjoyment from my career". Perhaps it hasn't turned out to have the buzz you supposed / schools not the places you were expecting etc. Perhaps you have an 'ideal' of what teaching is /should be, which doesn't match up to 'reality teaching' ?
    Teaching and what it involves has changed enormously over the past decades. So too have schools and perhaps this is where your real problem lies. Only you can decide whether you want to continue applying for posts. It may be you haven't discovered your' perfect fit school' yet or, that that doesn't actually exist.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Not sure why you are asking for help.
    In addition to seconding everything that Lara has said, I would point out that the answer to your question:
    is right above.
    :)
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

5. Lara mfl 05

Sorry nqt2011 (and Theoof course)
    stepped on Theo's territory again! .

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Slapped wrist? Slapped wrist?
    Not by me, Lara!
    I said that I agreed with all that you said - where's the slapping there?
    I was pointing out to NQT2011 that by saying that s/he needed to talk less and improve the practical lessons, s/he had already her/himself answered the question of what needed to be done to improve the interview lessons.
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.

7. Lara mfl 05

For jumping in too quickly, before you've had a chance to reply, of course!

8. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I did not slap you, Lara.

9. Lara mfl 05

No, quite right<u> I</u> did! As a memory jogger not to be so quick!

10. Thanks for the replies, your right I am aware of some of my weaknesses, i've heard the phrase do less but do it well - but am not sure how to do this. Average interview lesson 30 minutes

5 mins: Share LO, intro self, quiz task to see level of understanding using mini wb or post it
    Introduce idea -
    Task
    Summary of learning (5)

Where I fall down is intro idea - I understand the observers wants to see me teach but in 10 minutes that is difficult. How am I suppose to showcase my teaching skills, different tools used and have a meaningful activity(ies) which clearly show progress ?

@Lara - numerous reasons was a temp contract in local school which had it fair share of battles (drug market at school gates wasn't uncommon 18 months ago) - the tour of the school rang bells, unruly corridors, staff being pushed by pupils etc. School was disorganised, called me in a 9 had me and other candidate waiting on our own till 11 - wanted me to start next day but couldn't tell me what I'd be timetabled for despite the reason for the vacancy being "change in curriculum". Just didn't feel right.

11. I am finding this as well. at the moment i have no work. I know schools frown on CV gaps
    Anyway all the best with your search