1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo... interviews are like buses

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by tigger82, May 7, 2012.

1. tigger82

tigger82 New commenter

Dear Theo,
    Thank you for the advice in the welcome thread and on the forum - it is excellent and clearly works.
    I have recently applied for 4 jobs and have secured 3 interviews (the last application only closed on Friday).
    I didn't get the job at the 1st interview because they thought I should be applying for a move up instead of sideways. The second interview is Friday this week and the third is next Monday.
    The job I really want is the one that only closed on Friday and as I am in the incredibly fortunate poition of having a permanent job already I can afford to wait. I posted about this job on Friday as they have an open day for prospective parents and I was going to go along (option for eldest child).
    Now I know that if I had an interview for the job I really want that I would withdraw from the other two. If I don't I would attend the other interviews and see what happens.
    So my questions are
    1. when is the latest I can withdraw from the other interviews without really annoying them?
    2. When, if at all, should I contact the school I would like most and ask about shortlisting to enable me to withdraw from the other interviews if I needed to?

2. tigger82

tigger82 New commenter

Dear Theo,
    Thank you for the advice in the welcome thread and on the forum - it is excellent and clearly works.
    I have recently applied for 4 jobs and have secured 3 interviews (the last application only closed on Friday).
    I didn't get the job at the 1st interview because they thought I should be applying for a move up instead of sideways. The second interview is Friday this week and the third is next Monday.
    The job I really want is the one that only closed on Friday and as I am in the incredibly fortunate poition of having a permanent job already I can afford to wait. I posted about this job on Friday as they have an open day for prospective parents and I was going to go along (option for eldest child).
    Now I know that if I had an interview for the job I really want that I would withdraw from the other two. If I don't I would attend the other interviews and see what happens.
    So my questions are
    1. when is the latest I can withdraw from the other interviews without really annoying them?
    2. When, if at all, should I contact the school I would like most and ask about shortlisting to enable me to withdraw from the other interviews if I needed to?

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Woo-hoo!
    THREE interviews - Routemasters ahoy!
    Q1 Well . . . Ideally they wouldl ike time to invite an also-ran candidate, to make up their numbers. And you would need to give them 2 day's notice. So need to know on Wednesday for Friday.
    But, to be honest, I have had people pull out on the actual morning (overnight e-mail to the secretary saying that they had been offered another job that afternoon) and it's not caused me to do more than roll my eyes. I certainly haven't remembered the name for a future occasion!
    So go for the ideal if you can, but if not, don't worry.
    Q2 2 days before first interview? Although you might try speaking to the Head briefly (if possible) on the Open Evening, just to ask WHEN the interviews are as you have other interviews. Not to ask if you've been shortlisted, just the date.
    Or you could just go to Interview 1 on Friday and see how you feel about the school, compared with Fave.
    Good luck with it all!

4. I'm all worried now, I'm in the lucky (?!) position of having 4 interviews this week one on each day!! Obviously there is no way to tell the schools any earlier if I have secured another position than the night before - I hope they won't be annoyed! Good luck!

5. tigger82

tigger82 New commenter

Not a bad strike rate eh?
    Thanks Theo,
    I will go for the open day tomorrow and try and get the feel of the place from a parent's perpective. There is a new Head starting in August and he will be there tomorrow with his wife "for a chat over coffee" so I can get the measure of him too.
    If the the opportunity arises with the current Head then I will ask about the interview dates. If not I will wait until Weds and send a little email.
    Still preparing to go to the job interview on Friday until I hear from Fave school.
    I know you may not open this thread again Theo but if you do will the new Head have any input into the recruitment as the post won't begin until August?
    In fact it seems that the post advertised currently belongs to the present Head's wife (gleaned from looking at the staff list).

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Depends what post it is.
    If it is SLT, or even HoD, possibly.
    Others, less likely. Got his/her other job to do!
    (P.S. could be Head's sister or daughter as well . . .)
    Best wishes.

7. tigger82

tigger82 New commenter

Went to the school this morning and had a lovely visit. Came away feeling like this is a place I would want to send my children. It is also a place I would want to work.
    Spoke to the heads (outgoing and ingoing) and both recognised my name from the application which they assured me was positive. They will be in touch later on this week.
    I think I will have to withdraw from the Friday interview. I wouldn't want to lose out on the opportunity at a school I love.

8. tigger82

tigger82 New commenter

Got an interview at Fave for next week so have withdrawn from other interviews.

9. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Oh, well done!
    [​IMG]
    Best wishes.

10. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Good luck wishes for it!
    Remind me on the Interviews reminder thread at the weekend and I'll keep my fingers crossed.

11. tigger82

tigger82 New commenter

Thank you both.
    That wee girl is so cute!