1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo: Interview

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by pixiepie, Mar 13, 2012.

1. Hi Theo,

I had an interview today and I messed up on one question. My mind just went blank and it threw me, but I managed to get back on track and overall the rest of the interview went well, I think. I was confident and tried my hardest to shine!

Do you think because I messed up and "umed" and "arghed" I won't get the job? It's for a pool by the way (forces schools)

PP x

2. Hi Theo,

I had an interview today and I messed up on one question. My mind just went blank and it threw me, but I managed to get back on track and overall the rest of the interview went well, I think. I was confident and tried my hardest to shine!

Do you think because I messed up and "umed" and "arghed" I won't get the job? It's for a pool by the way (forces schools)

PP x

3. I had to ask a governor what he meant at my last interview and got the job (I did ask politely but I honestly could not make head nor tail of the question!)
    The worst part was I started to answer it, realised I wasn't answering it at all and then had to stop and ask "sorry, would you mind just clarifying the question for me as I think I have misunderstood you." How embarrassing! I thought that might have cost me the job but it didn't [​IMG]
    One of the other candidates said that when she'd been asked a safeguarding question about Facebook had responded by saying "why, do you want to add me as a friend?"
    I am sure you didn't say anything that bad! X

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

If they didn't give jobs to someone who Ummed and Ahhed on a question, the rest of the teachers would be having to teacg classes of 200 each, because so few people would be appointed!
    You are just feeling a bit down.
    You may well get an offer. On the other hand, perhaps you don't. But it may not be due to that Umming, just that this is a competition, and someone else (who may have Ummed twice!) just got some things a bit better.
    But you've done well to get an interview in the current climate, so try the impossible of putting this to one side while waiting to her the result, and start looking at the next application that you are going to do.
    Love the Facebook reply . . .
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Moving into Headship or SLT seminar on Saturday 17th March

5. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Yes, answering a question with what you think is a joke - almost guaranteed to make them forget all the good things you might have said before it and stop them listening to anything else you say.
    As everyone has said, asking for clarification of the question if you find yourself mumbling and stuttering is a very good way of getting yourself a bit of breathing space.

6. Thanks everyone!
    I'm just over-analysing everything (as you do after an interview). I don't think it helps that I have to wait almost 2 whole weeks to find out. Is this the norm? I'm absolutely kicking myself for answering an easy question badly...because I knew the answer, I just went blank. Everything else went pretty well. I liked them so much and wanted to work for them.

7. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

It's common to have to wait for a pool job as they interview a lot of people, over a couple of weeks at least. They need to see them all before deciding on the ten (or however many) candidates they feel are the best.