1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo, interview worries

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by batcat, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Hi Theo,
    I have yet another chance at an interview, and I would really like this one. I have been asked to prepare a 30min lesson for 2 year groups in KS2 (one will be chosen on the day), but not given any subject. This makes it much harder as I am left wondering which subject to do, which topic to do etc etc
    I planned a Maths lesson earlier, then started worrying if they will have already covered this topic, or if they have already had a maths lesson earlier would the children be keen to sit through another maths lesson.
    Then I thought about doing Science since I like science, but worried if they would have the right equipment or whether there was enough time to do something sensible in 30mins.
    In my previous interview I did an Literacy lesson, which I thought might be fun, but the children were so excited that they were difficult to settle down again once they had completed their task. This was why I did not get through I was told.
    Since I do not know the class I am not sure how to pitch it, because I do not know how they will react. I am reluctant to use worksheets, but it may be the only safe way to keep the class calm and on task.
    Question:
    1. Would it matter if the children have already covered a topic (eg in Maths) - as long as I extend the questions on the day to make sure they are learning a bit more than they may have covered the first time?
    2. Would it be risky to do maths in case the chidren have already just finished a maths lesson?
    3. Would it be okay to stick to worksheets or should I avoid it completely?
    4. Would it be reasonable for me to contact the school and ask for details about the two classes eg Abilities, special needs, etc or should I simply stick to a roughly differentiated plan to cover high, low and middle abilities?

Thanks for your feedback
    BC

2. Hi Theo,
    I have yet another chance at an interview, and I would really like this one. I have been asked to prepare a 30min lesson for 2 year groups in KS2 (one will be chosen on the day), but not given any subject. This makes it much harder as I am left wondering which subject to do, which topic to do etc etc
    I planned a Maths lesson earlier, then started worrying if they will have already covered this topic, or if they have already had a maths lesson earlier would the children be keen to sit through another maths lesson.
    Then I thought about doing Science since I like science, but worried if they would have the right equipment or whether there was enough time to do something sensible in 30mins.
    In my previous interview I did an Literacy lesson, which I thought might be fun, but the children were so excited that they were difficult to settle down again once they had completed their task. This was why I did not get through I was told.
    Since I do not know the class I am not sure how to pitch it, because I do not know how they will react. I am reluctant to use worksheets, but it may be the only safe way to keep the class calm and on task.
    Question:
    1. Would it matter if the children have already covered a topic (eg in Maths) - as long as I extend the questions on the day to make sure they are learning a bit more than they may have covered the first time?
    2. Would it be risky to do maths in case the chidren have already just finished a maths lesson?
    3. Would it be okay to stick to worksheets or should I avoid it completely?
    4. Would it be reasonable for me to contact the school and ask for details about the two classes eg Abilities, special needs, etc or should I simply stick to a roughly differentiated plan to cover high, low and middle abilities?

Thanks for your feedback
    BC

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Numbered Qs - I appreciate that!
    Q1 The aim is that children should learn and make progress. You have to be the judge here - is your learning activity going to achieve this?
    Q2 If they had just had an ice-cream - would they not want another one if offered? If it's good, they'll enjoy it!
    Q3 Well . . . Death By Worksheet is to be avoided if at all possible.
    Q4 Very reasonable!
    Make sure that you read the Interview clickables inside the Welcome thread.
    Best of luck!
    The next Applications Workshop I'm doing that still has vacancies is on Friday 25th February. www.tesweekendworkshop15.eventbrite.com
    There is also another seminar on Applying for Senior Leadership on 13th March.
    E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for more details of the above and for how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!