1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo: Interview Woes

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by CaptainVimes, May 26, 2011.

1. I recently went through the arduous process of interview for a Headteacher’s post at a larger school. Needless to say, I wasn’t offered the post; otherwise I wouldn’t be posting this here. I was told in the feedback I received that I gave a good account of myself at interview, was told that the staff and school council meetings had gone very well and that my scores in the various tests we had to carry out were some of the highest they’d had. Now I know for a fact that the successful candidate attempted seventeen of the maths questions and got five correct, whereas I attempted nineteen all of which were correct. The feedback I received from the Education Officer that was involved in the interview focused on my PowerPoint presentation as the area of weakness, that it was too “wordy.” That was it, the only area of weakness. It was felt that because of this I had “lost” the governors in the room and that it had been too difficult to win them back. Now, the successful applicant was a Deputy Headteacher from a neighbouring school. This school has not advertised for a new deputy in her place. I feel that the whole process was a set up by the schools involved and the local authority to avoid a redundancy situation. Is there anything I can do about it? I feel that I've been put through the mill for a post that never existed.

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I just HATE Google Chrome because it eats the paragraphs and that is so difficult to read. . .
    I would questioin the I know for a fact, but let's ignore that. If this were a HoD Maths post, I might feel that you had a better point here. But for a HT that's not really the main issue.
    But your feedback weakness relating to haedship was:
    Actually, this is quite a major point for a HT post. It could mean that you had poor communication skills, and communication is pretty important for a leader - you need to have a vision and communicate it effectively so that you get people to follow you.
    And it also shows that you could not prioritise, could not sort the wheat from the chaff, just put it all in. Again, a lack of a skill - analytical skills - that are important.
    Managing your governors is, again, an important part of the role of a Head.
    So what you see as a minor point, I actually see as a fairly major one against you.
    If that was the desire of the Local Authority, they merely had to ring-fence the post to those at risk of redundancy. They didn't, however. I am not convinced that promoting someone out of redundancy is a strategy that would be used, especially with no ring-fencing.
    No, there isn't.
    I understand that you feel very hurt and disappointed that you didn,t get the job. I'm sorry about that. And I am also sorry that you are not getting from me the answer that you hoped for. In fact you probably think it is a horrid answer. But it is my view of your situation.
    I'll say again that I am sorry that you are distressed about this, but I hope that when you think calmly about my points, you'll see the truth in them.
    Kind regards
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    The Job Seminars are all sold out, I'm afraid, but Julia is planning some more later on.
    A new Moving to Headship or SLT seminar is planned for 18 June.

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!