1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo: Interview with no information!

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by clairebobs13, May 5, 2012.

1. Dear Theo,
    For a year I've been waiting for a job to come up at a school I would consider my 'dream job' and yesterday they called me to come for interview on Tuesday.
    I'm really excited about it, but they still haven't sent me any details about the lesson I will be teaching. It's an 11-18 school, so it could be anything and as it's now Saturday there's no one at the school and Monday is Bank Holiday!
    Have to be there at 8.15am, which is fine, but was wondering whether I should prepare a lesson for every year group, or just wing it?
    At least it's a long weekend, so I can put together several plans! All exciting stuff...no pressure ;)
    Thanks
    Claire

2. Dear Theo,
    For a year I've been waiting for a job to come up at a school I would consider my 'dream job' and yesterday they called me to come for interview on Tuesday.
    I'm really excited about it, but they still haven't sent me any details about the lesson I will be teaching. It's an 11-18 school, so it could be anything and as it's now Saturday there's no one at the school and Monday is Bank Holiday!
    Have to be there at 8.15am, which is fine, but was wondering whether I should prepare a lesson for every year group, or just wing it?
    At least it's a long weekend, so I can put together several plans! All exciting stuff...no pressure ;)
    Thanks
    Claire

3. casper

casper New commenter

Claire I sympathise. i had an interview last week and was only given one days notice about what I had to teach and which year group. But, your situation must be worrying you. I hope everything goes well.

4. Sillow

Sillow Senior commenter

Perhaps plan a KS3, GCSE and A-level lesson in your subject, with plenty of differentiation and extension that will hopefully cover all eventualities! It does sound like a bit of a mean situation to put you in!
    Well done for getting the interview and good luck!

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Wow!
    Wow for getting that interview - you have done well.
    And wow for the situation that you are in - not knowing what you will teach.
    May I suggest that you look in your e-mail in the Spam inbox, in case they sent you an e-mail and it ended up there? It has been known to happen!
    No, not wing it!
    We can all wing it in an emergency, but to be honest I doubt if we do our best work then. And how will you hand them a lesson plan in those circumstances - write it as you go along? :)
    So do a range of lessons where you can be flexible, with opportunities to move up or down, and show off your skills.
    Best wishes - we look forward to reading of your success in a brand-new thread called Dear Theo - i got that job!

6. Thank you all for the great advice. Thankfully I received an email yesterday, telling me the details of the lesson I will be teaching. It will definitely save me a lot of time and won't have to do several plans! [​IMG]
    Will let you know how it goes!
    Thanks again,
    Claire

7. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Wow - what a relief!
    Hope it all goes swimmingly!