1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - interview today......

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by daisyj, May 24, 2011.

  1. Dear Theo,

    I have an interview today, however I may have one for Friday at a school that is amazing. The school has sent off for reference requests and after speaking with them last week, they were very keen for me to apply.

    The school today is not so great and have walkie talkies for the difficult classes.

    IF(!) I get offered the position today, could I politely ask them to wait until Friday? Is this even possible?

    Thanks
     
  2. If you are offered the job today, it will be subject to conditions being met (e.g. your references being in order, your qualifications being confirmed), and the employers reserve the right to withdraw. Similarly, you may accept today, and, subject to the conditions of the offer meeting your requirements (usually financial/holiday entitlements) you may choose to reject when the written offer comes. what I am saying is (and I have done this myself, and know others who have also done this, with no detriment to their professional reputations) say yes, don't say anything else! then, wait for the written offer. on friday, if you get that offer, say yes. the reject the first offer when it comes in writing, and accept the second one. don't tell the schools you are doing this, though. it may not be wrong, but its not exactly right either. however, you have to take care of your own career - no-one else will do it for you. good luck!
     
  3. Hi,
    You probably need a quick reply! You can't really say wait til Friday - well, you can try, when they ask you if you're still a firm candidate at the end of the interview, but they will more than likely want to get it sorted asap and offer it to another candidate who is in a position to say yes (especially as it's so close to the deadline for them).

    Go to the school today and see how it is, whether it really is intimidating with walkie talkies or not! You never know, you might like it. If not - and I sense that really, in your heart of hearts, you want to give the amazing school in Friday a shot - then probably best to withdraw, or explain about wanting to wait til Friday and risk them offering it to someone else. I suspect you don't really want this one anyway. And you would always be left wondering 'what if' if you accepted today's and didn't go on Friday.

    I wouldn't normally advise scuppering your chances with a job just because you MIGHT get another one in a few days time, especially not this close to the deadline, but if they dropped some clues over the phone and seemed really keen then you might well be their 'favourite' (and schools do tend to have favourites before interview). Only you can judge!

    Really hope it works out. Let us all know.
     
  4. Just read Aunt Sponge's reponse - really don't think you can say yes and then say no when it comes through in writing. But let's see what Theo and others think.
     
  5. Lara mfl 05

    Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

    Personally, I really wouldn't advise accepting & then renegading. Technically a verbal contract IS a contract & binding.
    Go have a look at the school, just in case it's better than you think, and THEN, if you think it's not for you, withdraw at that stage.
    But you might not be offered the job on Fri.or even today. Can you afford not to have a job?
    Best of luck whatever you decide.
     
  6. lighthouse_keeper

    lighthouse_keeper New commenter

    I think you can mention your reservations; if they like you and think you are the best person for the job, they may give you time...but with the Friday deadline looming for handing in notice, I would suspect that they won't want to hang around. My advice: if you think you can work there and enjoy it, take it, and if the walkie-talkies and the possiblity of really badly behaved classes make you nervous (it would me), then don't take it and wait for Friday? The other school sound keen to interview you and that is a very positive thing. If your heart says no to this one today, then I would leave it - you don't want to end up somewhere that will make you unhappy, it just isn't worth it!
     
  7. TheoGriff

    TheoGriff Star commenter

    Great going to get more than one interview! I wish you well.
    The problem is . . . that the school wants a firm Yes/No from you immediately, because this week is the pressurised week with the deadline for handing in resignations.
    So they will not want to wait until Friday, because if the chosen candidate says No, then they want to rush to get the offer to number 2 before s/he accepts a job in another school.
    If your interview had been 4 weeks ago, they probably would have agreed to 24 hours thinking time, possible (but a lot less likely) a little more.
    But this week, it is 99.99% likely to be Tell Us Your Answer Now Or We Shall Withdraw The Offer And Ask Someone Else Who Will Tell Us Now.
    Here are a couple of threads:
    multiple interviews
    Dear Theo-turning down a job after already accepted it?
    Make sure that you read the Interview clickables inside the Welcome thread!
    Best of luck. I do hope that you are one of the lucky ones - so many people aren't, at present.
    _____________________________________________________________
    TheoGriff. Member of the TES Careers Advice Service.
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    The Job Seminars are all sold out, I'm afraid, but Julia is planning some more later on.

    A new SLT seminar is planned for 18 June.

    E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!
     

Share This Page