1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo: Interview Technique & Interview Lesson

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by marmot.morveux, Mar 31, 2012.

1. marmot.morveux

marmot.morveux New commenter

Well....I have another interview for HoD...at the last interview - as I said on another thread - my answers came across as waffly. I tend to do this when I'm nervous. I have also been accused of being 'quirky', because sometimes my nerves mean that I make comments that make the interviewers laugh - I guess this must sound unprofessional, because at one interview a couple years ago, I was told; we thought we'd have great fun working with you, but we were not sure whether or not you could do the job. I liked the comment from Lara about giving 'short to the point' answers, then asking if I'd answered the questions, which I will try this time. Are there any tips from anyone else?

Secondly, the group that I will teaching at interview is likely to range from A*-F. I'm worried that I will spend too much time on preparing a 'fantastic' lesson, to efficiently differentiate, at the expense of preparing for the interview. I feel that I have done this in the past, because I like things to be perfect. I don't have any issues with differentiation, even though the best of us can find it difficult - I'm just concerned that I won't get the balance right between preparation for the lesson and for the interview.

I sometimes feel that I can pick the winning candidate at the beginning of an interview day. At my last interview, the way the winning person conducted herself was brilliant. I guess I have to use her as a glowing example, and yet, I felt that I was ready for that job. It would be great to have any advice from people, but also, I just wanted to get this all off my chest.

2. marmot.morveux

marmot.morveux New commenter

Well....I have another interview for HoD...at the last interview - as I said on another thread - my answers came across as waffly. I tend to do this when I'm nervous. I have also been accused of being 'quirky', because sometimes my nerves mean that I make comments that make the interviewers laugh - I guess this must sound unprofessional, because at one interview a couple years ago, I was told; we thought we'd have great fun working with you, but we were not sure whether or not you could do the job. I liked the comment from Lara about giving 'short to the point' answers, then asking if I'd answered the questions, which I will try this time. Are there any tips from anyone else?

Secondly, the group that I will teaching at interview is likely to range from A*-F. I'm worried that I will spend too much time on preparing a 'fantastic' lesson, to efficiently differentiate, at the expense of preparing for the interview. I feel that I have done this in the past, because I like things to be perfect. I don't have any issues with differentiation, even though the best of us can find it difficult - I'm just concerned that I won't get the balance right between preparation for the lesson and for the interview.

I sometimes feel that I can pick the winning candidate at the beginning of an interview day. At my last interview, the way the winning person conducted herself was brilliant. I guess I have to use her as a glowing example, and yet, I felt that I was ready for that job. It would be great to have any advice from people, but also, I just wanted to get this all off my chest.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Q1
    Have you read the Interview tips clickable inside the Welcome thread? That is full of tips, including the much-appreciated "Mind Map" from Middlemarsh. It's inside a link about feeling nervous.
    Q2 If you prepare intelligently for the interview, as set out in the Tips, rather than trying to learn off answers to 77 possible questions, you'll have plenty of time.
    Q3 Yes - first impressions count! Beahve and look as though you are already a middle manager . . .
    We send you our crossed fingers! Plus: Safari, Chrome, Android: use where you want a paragraph.
    Best wishes!