1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - Interview post-poned, what next?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by sabrinacuk, Apr 26, 2011.

1. Hello!
    I am currently on my PGCE (RE) and in the middle of the soul-destroying NQT job-hunt, RE jobs are few and far between! My dream job came up a couple of months ago and I got an e-mail saying I had been short-listed for interview (yay!) but due to funding issues they wouldn't be interviewing until after Easter (hmmm).
    That was on the 15th of March and I have heard nothing since. I have avoided other job applications in the meantime as I don't know whats happening with the 'dream job'. I know that we're only just into the new term but I thought I would at least have an interview date by now, so I'm a bit worried! Would it look bad to chase up what is happening? Or should I continue waiting? At what point would it be permissable to follow-up?
    Hope you can help..

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

sorry no wifi so no computer so no paras no punctuation as i peck out on my kindle. the job market is dire. there are loads of nqt from last 3 yrs still not been able to start induction. there are one third fewer jobs advertised this year then last. there are redundancies. fewer fewer jobs and more more candidates. most imp thing is not your dream job but any job any job to get induction. i do not think you can afford to avoid other applications. 1. start applying now. now. 2. write politely now to school saying you are of course aplying elsewhere as it is important uththat you start induction in sept but as they are your preferred scool as you hope to contribue to x y and z you would be grateful if they could give you asap the intervie date so that you can reserve it in your diary. a dream job is a luxury. you cannot afford luxuries. your luxury will be not to be unemployed like half of last year.s nqt still are. bet your pgce tutors haven.t been telling you that. best wishes.

3. Thanks for your reply. I'll apply if any jobs are ever advertised, the 'dream job' is still about 30 miles from home...unfortunately i can't spread my net as wide as some as i have a young family so will start applying for whatever comes up and hassle the school for a date! Thanks again and good luck to any one else out there. Tough times.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I.n glad tht you managed to make sense of that scruffy post. Best of luck to you.