1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo Interview Panic - Help Needed

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by alpineangel, Mar 13, 2012.

1. Dear Theo
    I have got myself to the point of applying for jobs in mainstream primary. I have worked extremely hard to get myself here. I am Secondary trained. After leaving education and living abroad for several years I returned to the UK and worked as a TA in primary (to gain experience). I then worked in the independant sector, teaching primary SEN pupils in small groups. Last autumn, I was awarded outstanding by Ofsted.
    I am currently on a course to consolidate my learning, which comprises of CPD, highlighting key initiatives and subject pedagogy coupled with a teaching placement of four weeks. However, I am yet to teach a whole primary class.
    I am extremely anxious about the prospect of teaching during the interview process. I feel that I am not good enough, and lack experience (although my colleagues and tutors tell me different). Furthermore, at interviews in the past, my mind goes blank and I go to pieces. I have been fortunate that many times in the past, I have already been working in the school that employed me.
    I am not asking for someone else to give me lesson plans, that isn't the issue and I know I have to teach my own ideas. I have read through your excellent tips and advice, but would welcome any further help.
    Many thanks

2. Dear Theo
    I have got myself to the point of applying for jobs in mainstream primary. I have worked extremely hard to get myself here. I am Secondary trained. After leaving education and living abroad for several years I returned to the UK and worked as a TA in primary (to gain experience). I then worked in the independant sector, teaching primary SEN pupils in small groups. Last autumn, I was awarded outstanding by Ofsted.
    I am currently on a course to consolidate my learning, which comprises of CPD, highlighting key initiatives and subject pedagogy coupled with a teaching placement of four weeks. However, I am yet to teach a whole primary class.
    I am extremely anxious about the prospect of teaching during the interview process. I feel that I am not good enough, and lack experience (although my colleagues and tutors tell me different). Furthermore, at interviews in the past, my mind goes blank and I go to pieces. I have been fortunate that many times in the past, I have already been working in the school that employed me.
    I am not asking for someone else to give me lesson plans, that isn't the issue and I know I have to teach my own ideas. I have read through your excellent tips and advice, but would welcome any further help.
    Many thanks

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Theo often recommends a book called 'Pimp Your Lesson', which sets out very clearly the criteria for a good lesson, including differentiation, setting out objectives etc.
    Really class teaching is just teaching a bigger group of pupils, as even in small groups you've still had to differentiate, cater for different learning strategies, individuals etc.
    Sounds as if you're a little lacking in confidence, so trust what other people say and treat the interview more as a dialogue, rather than you 'putting on a show' for the benfit of the interview panel.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

As a holder of a Doctorate, I am Dr Griff. therefore I can with all confidence diagnose your illness. It is NOT, as you feared, lack of ability or lack of skills, merely Lack of Confidence.
    And this is treatable!
    Sit down and write a list of all the things that you have done that are really good. Now add all the compliments and assessments of you - they all show the same, don't they? Colleagues, Tutors, the Dreaded Ofsted . . .
    So now we have established that. You are very good, extremely confident.
    The symptom to treat now is the feeling a tad panicky in interviews. Read this with some excellent advice from Middlemarch:
    <h3>Dear Theo and all- Get to the interview, but nerves always get the better of me. What to do? </h3>Ask a colleague to give you a mock interview and then some feedback. Seems to me that what you need is for someone to say to you: You were clearly nervous, but it came through very strongly how very good you are!
    And we already established at the offset that you are very good!
    Very best of luck!
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Moving into Headship or SLT seminar on Saturday 17th March