1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - interview notes?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Vikki27, Jun 21, 2011.

1. Dear Theo
    First application form following your advice and first interview this Friday - thankyou! Just wondering - is it unprofessional to take in some notes with me to interview just to jog my memory? Lessons that have gone well and why, behaviour management techniques, my strengths etc. Or does that look like I'm not thinking off the top of my head?
    I have to teach a 20 min maths lesson to Year 2 on an 'object' of my choice. Not entirely sure what they mean by that. I'm thinking dice or a 100 square? They don't say so but would they expect me to write up a full hour long lesson plan or are they expecting this 'session' to be a stand alone session without a lesson plan?
    Thankyou in advance,

Vicki

2. Dear Theo
    First application form following your advice and first interview this Friday - thankyou! Just wondering - is it unprofessional to take in some notes with me to interview just to jog my memory? Lessons that have gone well and why, behaviour management techniques, my strengths etc. Or does that look like I'm not thinking off the top of my head?
    I have to teach a 20 min maths lesson to Year 2 on an 'object' of my choice. Not entirely sure what they mean by that. I'm thinking dice or a 100 square? They don't say so but would they expect me to write up a full hour long lesson plan or are they expecting this 'session' to be a stand alone session without a lesson plan?
    Thankyou in advance,

Vicki

3. Helena Handbasket

Helena Handbasket New commenter

WIth regards to the lesson plan, I had 4 interviews before I got the job I now have. In my fifth I wrote up a full 1 hour lesson plan showing how I would extend the lesson and the topic as a whole and gave copies to everybody in the interview panel. This was one of the things I was commended on in the feedback I got when offered the job. It is something I would now always do in an interview situation.

4. whatever the length of your interview lesson, you should always have planning for it, and provide at least two copies for the observers. I think it's certainly a good idea to include a section for how you would develop this into a longer lesson. Well done for getting an interview so quickly, and good luck!

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Well done for getting that interview!
    If you open the Welcome
    thread at the top of the Forum, you'll find some interview clickables
    inside with tips and ideas for preparation. Hope they are useful!
    The other posters are correct about planning - and don't forgett o have differentiation in it, in case you don't actually get to use it in the lesson.
    As for the notes - 2 or 3 postcards would be fine. You'll probably find that just having them there gives you confidence, and you'll not need them.
    Best of luck! Looking forward to that new thread called Dear Theo - I got that job!

TheoGriff. Member of the TES Careers Advice Service.

I
    do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and often contribute to the
    Job Application Seminar Workshops. We look at application letters,
    executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people
    really appreciate.

See the full programme www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.

Look forward to seeing you!

6. Thankyou!!