1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - interview no references requested

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by bannoffee, Feb 27, 2012.

1. bannoffee

bannoffee New commenter

Dear Theo and everyone,
    I've been reading these forums for a while, and found all your advice - especially the clickables - absolutely invaluable in finding out about teaching and applying for jobs, so thank you everyone!
    I know it's a common question, but I just wanted some advice on hearing back from interviews.
    I was interviewed via skype (I'm currently finishing my PhD overseas) for a vacancy at an independent school, and we talked about the possibility of my doing a PGCE/GTP with them. They said that they were interviewing more candidates the next day, and would 'put our meeting alongside those and then decide'. I took this to mean that I would be contacted by Monday, but this has come and gone and I still haven't heard.
    <ol>[*]I know my references haven't yet been contacted, which seems a little odd. Would they possibly be waiting to collect references before making a decision? If this is a GTP position, could it take longer than a 'normal' vacancy?[*]I got the impression that the other candidates would probably already have PGCEs etc, and would also be doing an observed lesson - it was explained in the interview that this is normally what the school expects, but that they were making an exception for me, as I am so far away. If they already knew this, would it put me at a disadvantage? Or mean that the decision will take longer? [*]Due to the time difference, I can't really phone the school, but have been considering emailing the HR manager (we had been in contact before in order to set up the interview etc), but am worried that this will be hurrying them along far too quickly, or also seem rude or impersonal. </ol>I realise that you probably can't answer any of these questions definitively, but I'd welcome any feedback at all, to put my whirring mind at rest!

2. bannoffee

bannoffee New commenter

Dear Theo and everyone,
    I've been reading these forums for a while, and found all your advice - especially the clickables - absolutely invaluable in finding out about teaching and applying for jobs, so thank you everyone!
    I know it's a common question, but I just wanted some advice on hearing back from interviews.
    I was interviewed via skype (I'm currently finishing my PhD overseas) for a vacancy at an independent school, and we talked about the possibility of my doing a PGCE/GTP with them. They said that they were interviewing more candidates the next day, and would 'put our meeting alongside those and then decide'. I took this to mean that I would be contacted by Monday, but this has come and gone and I still haven't heard.
    <ol>[*]I know my references haven't yet been contacted, which seems a little odd. Would they possibly be waiting to collect references before making a decision? If this is a GTP position, could it take longer than a 'normal' vacancy?[*]I got the impression that the other candidates would probably already have PGCEs etc, and would also be doing an observed lesson - it was explained in the interview that this is normally what the school expects, but that they were making an exception for me, as I am so far away. If they already knew this, would it put me at a disadvantage? Or mean that the decision will take longer? [*]Due to the time difference, I can't really phone the school, but have been considering emailing the HR manager (we had been in contact before in order to set up the interview etc), but am worried that this will be hurrying them along far too quickly, or also seem rude or impersonal. </ol>I realise that you probably can't answer any of these questions definitively, but I'd welcome any feedback at all, to put my whirring mind at rest!

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Firstly, congratulations on (a) the nearly finished PhD and (b) a beautifully clear, well-laid out post. Although, ahem, you number the questions and then put two questions to some numbers. . .
    Q1a they actually SHOULD have the references first, before even interviewing you or anyone else, but, Hey! Independent schools don't always play by the rules! As is shown by the fact that they are allowing a SKYPE interview which actually goes contrary to the Statutory Guidance that stipulates a face-to-face interview.
    Q1b You don't make this clear if the GTP point had been in your application, or if it came out during the interview. If the latter, then they might actually be having to go and find out about all the rules, etc. which would take them longer.
    Q2a Yes, of course, since they would be betting on an unknown with you. Taking a leap into the dark.
    Q2b I suppose there could be more soul-searching here because of this unknown about you.
    Q3 A short, polite, non-pressurised e-mail saying that you wonder when the decision will be announced as you have other applications pending will not impact on the decision either way, so please do if you really cannot bear the nail-biting any longer!
    We all understand that the problem is that: the nail-biting . . . hope it's all worth it!
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Moving into Headship or SLT seminar on Saturday 17th March.
    www.tesweekendworkshop90.eventbrite.com