1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo Interview next Tues

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by almostteacher, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Hi all,
    I have an interview to teach the Summer term in a Year 4 class at a school I have done supply work in a few times since September and loved.

I'm an NQT and I've emailed over 35 applications since last April with no replies. Finally I get a phone call offering me an interview for the first time. I was so pleased but now I'm just panicking.

It's been too long since Uni gave us a lecture on 'Interview skills' and I haven't been able to assess/plan/prepare work for a class properly since Dec 2010 on Uni placements (I have only done supply since which hasn't required any assessment or medium/long term planning.
    The interview consists of teaching a mixed Yr4/5 class for 30 mins where 'children have the opportunity to lead their own learning in literacy', then there is a data analysis test then a face to face interview after lunch.
    I do not know where to even start with preparation for this.

Any advice would be great. I read a post that a data analysis test required the lady to grade a pupil's paper off the top of their head (I would have no idea).
    I'm just sat here panicking, wondering how I'll deal with teaching when I'm this stressed for the interview only!!
    (PS I did try putting this into paragraphs but I won't for some reason)

2. Hi all,
    I have an interview to teach the Summer term in a Year 4 class at a school I have done supply work in a few times since September and loved.

I'm an NQT and I've emailed over 35 applications since last April with no replies. Finally I get a phone call offering me an interview for the first time. I was so pleased but now I'm just panicking.

It's been too long since Uni gave us a lecture on 'Interview skills' and I haven't been able to assess/plan/prepare work for a class properly since Dec 2010 on Uni placements (I have only done supply since which hasn't required any assessment or medium/long term planning.
    The interview consists of teaching a mixed Yr4/5 class for 30 mins where 'children have the opportunity to lead their own learning in literacy', then there is a data analysis test then a face to face interview after lunch.
    I do not know where to even start with preparation for this.

Any advice would be great. I read a post that a data analysis test required the lady to grade a pupil's paper off the top of their head (I would have no idea).
    I'm just sat here panicking, wondering how I'll deal with teaching when I'm this stressed for the interview only!!
    (PS I did try putting this into paragraphs but I won't for some reason)

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Well done on getting that interview - and panicking is normal!
    As Lara says, read the advice that we have inside the Welcome thread. Especially read this:
    Dear Theo and all- Get to the interview, but nerves always get the better of me. What to do?
    Get cracking on to the Amazon site and buy this:
    [​IMG]
    It tells you how to prepare for an observed lesson - really good advice. it is slightly biased towards secondary, but has loads of good tips, especially for the official lesson plan.
    No, we don't give advice on planning your actual lesson - somebody else might read it and do the same lesson - and don't think it couldn't happen, because it does!
    The interview tips are well worth reading, it can be calming to know that you have prepared well.
    (PS If using Android, Chrome or Safari: try where you want a paragraph).
    Best wishes to you
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Moving into Headship or SLT seminar on Saturday 17th March