1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - Interview lesson

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by thegirlwho, Mar 20, 2011.

1. Dear Theo,

I have an interview lesson next week, for a Key Stage 2 position and I'm really excited about it :) I've had one interview lesson before (at a different scholl) and I didn't get the job. I got good feedback on the lesson, so I know I wasn't terrible.

I'm not after ideas for the lesson itself, but what would be useful to know is what sorts of things the observer might be looking out for? Anything specific? I have a whole hour, which is quite daunting but also really good as you can't do much in 15 minutes!! I really really want this job, and so I'm trying to do everything I can to plan a really great lesson!

Thanks for any advice and tips!

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

They'll be looking for how you interact with the children.
    How do you make use of TA/ other help in the classroom?
    Is differentiation obvious?
    How do you progress individs on? (use of good questioning.)
    Obvious ones are; good subject knowledge,, classroom/ behaviour management etc.

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Look at the ofsted criteria for a good/outstanding lesson. Look at both teaching and learning and aim to achieve it.

Best of luck.

4. Having had a lesson/interview this week, my tips would be
    1) find out as much as you can about the class prior to the lesson - ie prior learning that has taken place, what levels they are working at, whether they are used to working in pairs, groups, etc depending on how you want to teach, whether there are any specific needs eg statemented children
    2)have very clear learning objectives that you share with the class and also copies of the lesson plans to hand out before you start (I forgot!)
    3) anything you say you are going to do, make sure you do! I forgot the plenary as we were so carried away with the fun we were having
    4) make sure you plan plenty of extension/intervention activities for those high fliers/SEN children
    5) plan a fun, interactive lesson that really pulls the children in

Good luck and keep us posted![​IMG]