1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - Interview Lesson Observation

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by minnieminx, Apr 19, 2011.

1. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

No, it really, really isn't. You need to show you are 'teaching' and they are 'learning'.

Choose a year 2 LO from the late summer term and then plan a lesson around that. You need a mental oral, an activity, that you end with a plenary. I would say a 5 min starter, 5-10min teaching input for activity, 10-15 min activity (you with a group), 5 min summary/plenary.

This part of the interview is to see how good you are at teaching, not how well you can keep children occupied for half an hour. Plan it well and properly, including what you would do to move on if you had more time or another lesson to do so.

Read their most recent ofsted, read everything on the school website, read everything they have sent you. Go there feeling really familiar with the school.

Best of Luck!

2. missmunchie

missmunchie New commenter

Why? A school might look at how you incorporate this in your lessons.
    Even if it is just one slide with your name and lesson title / learning outcome on it I would have it up on the IWB!
    Hope this isn't too late and good luck!

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Well done on getting that interview!
    Yes, good advice here.
    Always remember that your lesson observation for an interview will be judged EXACTLY as your PGCE tutor judges it, and EXACTLY as the Ofsted Inspector would do.
    If you open the Welcome thread at the top of the page, and then the two Interview clickables inside, you´ll get a whole load of tips about interviews.
    Including a link to a thread about what the school is looking for in an interview lesson.
    Best of luck!
    By popular demand! In response to Tessers e-mailing in: another Job Seminar now on Saturday 14th May:
    www.tesweekendworkshop25.eventbrite.com
    The next Moving onto Leadship seminar is Sunday 15th May.
    http://tesweekendworkshop24.eventbrite.com/
    E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!

4. Just another quick question.

My invitation to the interview asks me to bring "An example of a piece of work/project you have completed that you are particularly proud of and shows good learning and progress of children".

As a PGSE student who's only taught during one 6 week placement, I don't have any work which shows pregrssion of learning as the first placement didn't require me to show this. Progression will be dealt with during my second placement which starts next week.

Should I simply explain the situation? Will they be understanding or will they expect to see something even though I'm a future NQT?

Many Thanks