1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - Interview Issues!?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by linziwicks, May 1, 2011.

1. Hi Theo,
    I know this sounds really silly and there are probably hundreds of others out there with the same problem, but I find it really difficult to sell myself in interviews....My lessons go well and I am told that they are engaging, informative and accessible but then I get passed over for the posts...Feedback suggests my interview technique is weak, but I have no idea how to improve...I secured a maternity post due to end in July but for the life of me I can't think what I did differently that day to any other!
    I am also confused as to the weighting for the lesson vs the interview? Surely if the job is teaching and the lesson was what they are looking for, the weak interview technique should be a lesser factor given that they are paying you to teach not to sit through interviews (the only thing I can think is that is generic feedback, but if they offer feedback would it not be more use if it was accurate - If I was rubbish I would like to know so I dont go into another school and follow the same rubbish pattern)
    Please help I am starting to panic a little here!
    Linz

2. Hi Theo,
    I know this sounds really silly and there are probably hundreds of others out there with the same problem, but I find it really difficult to sell myself in interviews....My lessons go well and I am told that they are engaging, informative and accessible but then I get passed over for the posts...Feedback suggests my interview technique is weak, but I have no idea how to improve...I secured a maternity post due to end in July but for the life of me I can't think what I did differently that day to any other!
    I am also confused as to the weighting for the lesson vs the interview? Surely if the job is teaching and the lesson was what they are looking for, the weak interview technique should be a lesser factor given that they are paying you to teach not to sit through interviews (the only thing I can think is that is generic feedback, but if they offer feedback would it not be more use if it was accurate - If I was rubbish I would like to know so I dont go into another school and follow the same rubbish pattern)
    Please help I am starting to panic a little here!
    Linz

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Who knows what weighting they give. I guess that it will be different in each school. The mainpoint is improving your technique. Read carefully the 2 interview clickables in the Welcome thread. if you prepare using these techniques you should feel more confident. Good luck.