1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo: Interview help!

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by ringarg, May 20, 2011.

1. Hi Theo (and anyone else who can lend a hand!)
    I have an interview next week, but the only information I have received from the school is a letter inviting me for interview, with the date and time. It says to call only if I can't make the time, otherwise they will assume I can be there.
    My query is: I received no information about the interview process, specifically teaching a class. Previous interview they told me year group, topic, details (no IWB etc.) but nothing with this. Does this mean they will not actually see me teach? Or does it mean I'll be suprised on the day?
    Thanks

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Well done! Getting an interview is first stage to getting a shiny star from me when you start a new thread called Dear Theo - I got that job!
    Why don't you call them and ask if there are any further details available on any teaching that will take place? That will at least get rid of the uncertainty.
    And meanwhile, look at the interview clickables inside the Welcome thread - full of useful preparation advice!
    Best wishes

TheoGriff. Member of the TES Careers Advice Service.

I
    do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the
    Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive
    summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really
    appreciate.

The Job Seminars are all sold out, I'm afraid, but Julia is planning some more later on.

A new SLT seminar is available now on 22 May <u>www.tesweekendworkshop32.eventbrite.com</u>, and another is planned for 18 June.

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.

Look forward to seeing you!

3. Georgia99

Georgia99 New commenter

I posted something similar although I've had slightly more information than you! I have been told I will teach a 25 minute lesson and given an unspecific title. But apart from that I do not know year group, numbers, ability etc. I am secondary and that makes it really difficult!
    Definitely email or phone the school to ask for more details. That is what I have done and my opinion is reflects on the candidate positively rather than negatively.

4. Thanks Theo and Georgia, I will definitely give the school on Monday morning and find out more. I suppose I was also wondering if school's ever did interviews without watching you teach as well? This will be my second interview, and the first one I taught a 20minute maths lesson, and assumed that was the norm.

Georgia - you're situation does sound tricky, and not really fair either. It's not like you're applying to be a supply teacher, where you might not know what class/subject you're teaching each day. An interview process like that would make me question whether the school was worthwhile applying too, they seem to be putting you under undue pressure, and that's before they've even hired you!