1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo: interview feedback what to do?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by lovely.lady, Dec 14, 2011.

1. lovely.lady

lovely.lady Occasional commenter

A couple of weeks ago I had an interview for a Primary English subject leader at a large
    independent school but in Hong Kong. They said:-
    <ol>[*]very confident and articulate[*]showed good sense of teaching & learning philosophy[*]obvious had done the research into the school[*]further had researched the ethos of the school very well[*]displayed knowledge of the uniqueness of a brand new school[*]answered all questions very well</ol>However, I did not demonstrate how I would lead and develop the subject area. If I'm not asked
    the question about leadership ideas and development how can I bring this into the interview?
    This is the second time I've done this for a very similar position. Please point me in the right
    direction as I'm applying for MLT/SLT positions at the moment and though I've developed my
    written application very well thanks to you, I need to develop my interview techniques.
    Help!!

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

As you're applying for subject leader positions you need to decide on say 3 priorities you'd like to pursue to lead your subject area and then ask yourself during the questions, is this somewhere when I have a chance to say what I believe leading English is all about.
    I can't believe you weren't asked the question, as it was for a leadership post, but it was probably couched in different terms, perhaps 'What do you believe are the priorities in teaching English?
    However Theo is the expert and will be able to give really useful advice and he has practice on being on interview boards.

3. lovely.lady

I wasn't actually asked such specific question - in a way I had been then my answer would have been a breeze!
    Thanks

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Rather weird that they didn't explore an area with you, then later complained that you hadn't mentioned it. Maybe their question was so coded or so vague that you didn't realise what they wanted - something along the lines of "What could you bring this school?". Or even at the end: "Is there anything else you would like to say?".
    You make the opportunity, by dragging it in on the slightest excuse.
    My suggestion here is expensive. (Prohibitively so, if you are based in Hong Kong!). Come along to one of our SLT application seminars - next ones are mid Feb - or book an interview session with me before then. Contact Julia on advice@tes.co.uk for more details. Give her a phone number and she'll ring you back to explore possibilities and see what's right for you.
    Unless you are in Hong Kong. [​IMG]
    Here are some details on the seminars - the date is a past one, the details are the same:
    Moving into Headship and SLT - 18 June
    And here are some comments on having a meeting with me:
    Theo and tremendous support
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

5. lovely.lady

That's what I was asked! I feel such a clot for not realising that this was the opportunity/invite for me to actually try and showcase my subject specific skills!!!!
    Is this possible over skype? I don't live in HK but do live overseas and am looking to return to the Far East.

Thanks

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Hmn.
    Not really as good, because so much of the interview training is about how you come over in person . . .
    We could skype and talk about interview strategies and how to present yourself verbally, but the non-verbal bits are important too.
    We could think about it. Contact Julia about this.
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars