1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo: interview dilemma.

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Gsr25, Oct 19, 2015.

1. Gsr25

Gsr25 Occasional commenter

i currently have a part time retail job and I have just been chosen to represent my department in meetings (I say chosen I mean put forward reluctantly) the first meeting is on a day I said I couldn't do due to childcare. (I did say that attending meetings would be a problem due to childcare as they are all at different times which was why I was reluctant!)

Then I see a job I want to apply for and the interview is on the same day! Argh! So if I got short listed I would have to sort childcare but it would mean missing the meeting anyway!

I haven't put this job as a reference because due to other relevant work I do I don't need to and I have a reference from my previous head. I would be worried that I would get into trouble and be blacklisted because obviously I have put on my application about this job (no details just that I work there) and they might ring up and ask about me. It's not even a day I work so I wouldn't be taking time off to attend it's just that this meeting is on the same day!

If the interview is at a different time then that's not a problem and I probably shouldn't worry about it as I might not even be shortlisted.

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Hullo there!

Willing to help, but not sure I understand this . . .

Department in a school or in your other, retail, job?

In a school?

Which job? School or retail?

Let me clarify what I THINK might be your problem.

• You work in a school, part time
    • Retail job is irrelevant
    • You are applying for another job in another school
    • Interview date is on your day off from current school
    • Earlier current school asked you, and you said you couldn't, to go to a meeting on that same day off
    • You think that the current school will think that you were being difficult turning down that meeting, because now you are going to an interview on that day
    Is that right?

If so, based on that, I have two comments:

1) It would be fine to go to the interview, because while you might not change childcare to go to an (unpaid) meeting, you might well do it for an interview.

I suggest that if you are shortlisted, you go in and say :Well, I've had to have the expense of paying for extra childcare on X day anyway, as I have an interview.

2) However . . . It looks to me as though not only have you told your current school that you are applying to another school, you haven't even given them as referees.

If the other job isn't in a school, and I've got it wrong above, then this doesn't matter.

Yes, if it's a job in a school they might, but if it isn't, they are not likely to.

So it all depends on what I wrote above:
    • You are applying for another job in another school
    If it IS another school, then you need to read these articles. If it isn't, there's no problem at all.

Who should be my referees?

Do I have to tell my Head I am applying elsewhere?

A long reply from me!

Best wishes

3. Gsr25

Sorry Theo for not being very clear, I was trying to be careful with how much I said.
    The representative role is with the retail company.
    The job I want to apply for is in a school, non teaching.
    I haven't put the retail job down as a reference as I already have relevant references from a previous head and from the group I currently work with once a week which is pre school.
    I'm worried the school might ring up my retail job and ask about me and they will see that I haven't gone to the meeting and gone to an interview!

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Highly unlikely!

If you were working in a school and hadn't given that school as a reference, the school to which you were applying might ring up your current school.

But not a part-time non-education job.

Especially as you have education-related references, which is what they are interested in.

So no worries at all!

Best wishes

5. Gsr25

Thanks Theo, that's put my mind at rest!

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

(The missing Thumbs Up emoticon)