1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo, interview differences?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by shughesbio88, Apr 12, 2011.

1. shughesbio88

shughesbio88 New commenter

Hello theo,

I'm a PGCE trainee and I have an interview (HURRAY!!!) :)
    I've had one other teaching interview that nearly put me off teaching. All I can say is it wasn't meant to be and I was quite glad to be told thanks, but no thanks. I now have (what I think) is a dream interview, but it's in FE. I'm doing my current placement in FE so I know the general differences day to day but what I'm worried about for interview is:
    <ol>[*]what are the major differences (if any) between an FE interview and a secondary interview?[*]where would it be best to look up for current FE agenders (all my googles are coming up with older stuff)[*]will I be expected to know how pricing structure for courses works per se or will my working knowledge with how it affects the college as a whole be enough?</ol> I know that your background is more schools but I hope you can help. I have until the start of May to prepair and my head of sixth form has already offered to go through some things with me in the next few weeks, so I'm feeling really positive.

Thanks
    :)

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I have in fact been Vice-Principal of a FE College . . .
    Yes, thanks for the numbers!
    Q1 Interviews will be different from school to school and from college to college and from school to college. Impossible to say anything useful, really. You just have to ensure that you know about good teaching, that&acute;s what they will want.
    Q2 TES of course!
    https://www.tes.co.uk/publications.aspx?navcode=91
    scroll down, you&acute;ll see FE Focus
    Q3 I think Lara has misunderstood your question, as well as misunderstanding the employment structure of FE.
    I&acute;ll start by putting your mind at rest after Lara&acute;s post: sessional pay is only for part-time sessional lectures. You could well be appointed to a full-time position where your pay is annual.
    As for the funding mechanism, no, they will not expect you to understand the finer details. The basics you already know, there are 3 points:
    1) Get'emm in. Bums on seats.
    2) Get'em to stay. Bums still on seats in Nov, March and June
    3) get'em to pass. Bums off seats as they wave their arms in joy.
    Well done for gettng that interview!
    Best wishes
    By popular demand! In response to Tessers e-mailing in: another Job Seminar now on Saturday 14th May:
    www.tesweekendworkshop25.eventbrite.com
    The next Moving onto Leadship seminar is Sunday 15th May.
    http://tesweekendworkshop24.eventbrite.com/
    E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Thanks for putting that into perspective for the OP. My only experience is from being a student at FE when I did my e-learning Spanish & when I applied at my local college.

4. shughesbio88

shughesbio88 New commenter

Ahh did not know that Theo... you learn something new every day!
    How could I forget the FE focus!! TES it is (I now have an excuse to not be disturbed while I read, interview prep you know [​IMG]) Ahh so attention, retention, attainment and success are the key things I need to know in finance and that obviously we want lots of happy students who stay in college and pass their exams (and obviously how I will make them happy and stay in college and pass their exams). Fantastic, I've also heard today that I may have a second interview at a different college, so I'm feeling particularly bouncy (having had 1 interview in 6 months!) although once that's confirmed I will have to decide which job I would take if offered (since I need to know whether I'm still a firm candidate for the second job if that interview is first)

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Best wishes for them both.
    By popular demand! In response to Tessers e-mailing in: another Job Seminar now on Saturday 14th May:
    E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

We all of us need to be slightly cautious of giving advice which may not be firmly based on a secure knowledge, Lara.
    You can see how this could sometimes give posters an incorrect view or answer if we did, which is why I don't try to answer questions about, for example, NQT regulations, but send them over to another Forum to get an expert view on that.
    I am a Job Applications and Appointments expert, and that's what I stick to!