1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - Interview date quandry

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by kmhootton, Apr 7, 2011.

1. Dear Theo,
    Having applied for several DHT posts over the last 18months ( 1 interview and a couple of rejections so far) I am now fully aware of how many candidates are applying and how tough it is even to get an interview.
    There are a couple of current vacancies I am very interested in, where I have visited the school and for which, based on the pack, I think I would be a strong candidate, but here's the problem.
    The closing dates for the vacancies are close and the potential interviews fall on the same day. Should I apply for both, suspecting that I would be unlikely to get an interview for both? If I did apply and was lucky enough to be shortlisted for both what would I say? Should I , instead, focus on one application and hope for the best, even though I know how tough it is out there?

Any help would be most gratefully received.

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

You don't say if you are Primary or Secondary, but here are the comparisons, 2010 to 2011.
    Secondary - 63% fewer DHT posts advertised compared to same period last year
    Primary - 30% fewer
    The other part of the picture is the high numbers of re-advertisments, because they don't get suitable applicants. Or applicants who present themselves as suitable.
    My feel is to go all-out for two superb applications. Read the advice in the Welcome thread, the shortlisting clickables, to help you here.
    Then make the decision at interview stage as to which one you will go for. Start a new thread with that new quandry, if it does arise!
    Good luck.
    (PS if you don't get appointed, perhaps the May 15 below would be good for you. We are having people get interviews and jobs from these seminars).
    By popular demand! In response to Tessers e-mailing in: another Job Seminar now on Saturday 14th May:
    www.tesweekendworkshop25.eventbrite.com
    The next Moving onto Leadship seminar is Sunday 15th May.
    http://tesweekendworkshop24.eventbrite.com/
    E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!

3. Thanks Theo, I will do just that, go all out for both and see what happens.
    As it is I'm already booked into the seminar on the 15th. If I get an interview it will be just after that so hopefully will be able to pick up some great interview tips!

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Make sure thaty ou read and follow the tips in the shortlisting clickables. In particular, doing the exec summary has helped loads of people. Heads really like it, and it helps you write a better, more focussed letter when you do the exec summary first.
    Here's hoping! See you soon.
    By popular demand! In response to Tessers e-mailing in: another Job Seminar now on Saturday 14th May:
    www.tesweekendworkshop25.eventbrite.com
    The next Moving onto Leadship seminar is Sunday 15th May.
    http://tesweekendworkshop24.eventbrite.com/
    E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!