1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - Interview Advice

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Middlemarch, Jun 29, 2011.

1. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I hope you're not under the impression that it's essential to ask questions at the interview
    , because it certainly is not.
    Only ask a question if it's something you simply must have answered before you can accept the job if offered - a deal breaker, in other words.
    The best answer (and I speak as a head who has interviewed many hundreds of NQT candidates) to the question 'And do you have any questions for us?' is ' No, thank you - I've had ample opportunity during my visit here to get all my questions answered.'
    I've had candidates talk themselves out of a job offer by producing lists of questions they could have asked during the tour of the school, meetings with other staff, etc, which they were under some bizarre illusion would impress the panel.

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Spot on, Middlemarsh!
    Never ask questions that you should already know the answer to, you only look inept. Nor things of minor importance.
    I will add: never ask a question suggested by a Uni tutor or mentor, becaues we get asked those all the time! Only ask things that are really essential for you to know at this stage.
    Don't forget to look at the interview clickables inside the Welcome thread to help you prepare.
    Well done for getting the interview, and fingers crossed.

TheoGriff. Member of the TES Careers Advice Service.

I
    do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the
    Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive
    summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really
    appreciate.