1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - Internal Post

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Hurrican Andy, Apr 23, 2012.

1. Dear Theo
    Tricky one - I am currently in my 4th year of teaching. I've been in the same school since qualifying. At the end of my 2nd year I was promoted to Assistant Head of 6th form (Head of Yr12), despite being the rank outsider for the post. At the start of this year, our head of 6th form (assistant head status) went on long term sick and sadly passed away a month ago. I have largely been managing the sixth form this year and taken on a substantial number of duties without pay, or officially 'acting up'.
    The problem is that the post has now been advertised and I'm uncertain about applying. Effectively, I've done a large part of the job this year and done it well. Lots of ideas, very pragmatic, just completed MLDP qual, lots of support from colleagues. On the other hand, I'm only 26 still and next year will only be my 5th year of teaching.
    Am I being unrealistic to think that I may be considered for an SLT post at this young age and with such little experience - although the experience I do have is more relevant than say a current head of faculty or head of house.
    Any advice/comments welcome!
    Thanks, Andy

2. tigger82

tigger82 New commenter

If you are doing the job and doing it well then why not apply.
    There is a saying in these parts that sees apt;
    nae cheek, nae chance

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Not tricky at all.
    They probably have a policy that says that promoted posts have to be advertised. This in some ways is an advantage, as you get to see a proper job spec!
    Read the shortlisting clickables inside the Welcome thread. Make sure that you follow that advice. Be careful not to fall into the "Internal Applicant Trap" of thinking that Oh, they know what I do - I don't need to spell it out. Spell it out. All of it. Doing the executive summary before your letter will help you here.
    Best wishes
    P.S. - this means Yes, go ahead, apply. You can do the job, you are proving that every day.

4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

There's no reason why you shouldn't apply. You've proved yourself worthy of promotion after 2 years and are now proving you can tackle this one. I've had a colleage who moved rapidly through promotions and was a Head by his 30s! The only problem I forsee should you get it would be how to move forward after that and you've years to ponder that one.