1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - internal application

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by corblimeyguvnor, Nov 7, 2015.

1. corblimeyguvnor

corblimeyguvnor New commenter

Dear Theo,
    Bizarrely after my question on Executive Summaries last week, an internal post has just come up at my current school and I am absolutely desperate to be appointed and think I am the right person for the role. My questions are three-fold (the job is also advertised for external applicants). 1) A very minor question but do I address my letter to the formal name of my Head (e.g. Dear Mr..) or, as I know him well and currently refer to him by his first name, do I do so in the letter (e.g. Dear Theo)?
    2) I think I know the answer to this (!!) but do I still do an executive summary?
    3) I already manage a large team. This new role involves managing others and the person spec identifies the need to 'create positive working relationships with X and X' - should I mention in my letter that I already have very positive working relationships with these people? Or am I best to apply (as I've read in your previous posts) completely as if I was an external candidate? I suppose this applies to a few things in the person spec (e.g. Working towards achieving the aims of X school) so how much am I allowed to say I already do these things?
    Thanks in advance!

2. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

My view:

1. Always go formal. The head will never be offended or raise an eyebrow if you do. I invited all staff in both schools of which I was head to call me by my first name when not in front of children; however, on formal occasions - and applying for a post IS one - I would expect 'Dear Mrs Middlemarch'.

2. Yes, always.

3. You apply as if an external candidates, but that also includes talking about the things you do well in school, e.g. having positive working relationships; however, you'd still have to "create" such a thing if/when new members join the team - so talk about how you've done this in the past.

corblimeyguvnor likes this.
  3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Perfect reply there from MM!

We would expect no less from her, of course. ;)

I still remember the e-mail I received once for a job application that began Hi Theo! :D

And don't forget that as you are pretending that you are an external candidate, you must tell them everything. Don't think Oh, I don't need to tell them that - they know what I do.

Oh yes you DO need to tell them that. In the written application and in interview.

I don't need to point you towards the applications advice, but do ensure that you consider it carefully.

Best wishes

4. corblimeyguvnor

corblimeyguvnor New commenter

Thank you both very much.

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

(The missing thumbs-up emoticon)

6. midnight_angel

midnight_angel Senior commenter

:eek: Oh my.

7. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes indeed, @midnight_angel !

Aren't you going to ask if the candidate was appointed? ;)

Best wishes

midnight_angel likes this.