1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - indy job market

Discussion in 'Independent' started by twisty08, Apr 14, 2011.

1. twisty08

twisty08 New commenter

Hi Theo,
    I'll be a primary NQT in September and I'm getting pretty worried about the fact that I haven't yet secured a job. I know you like numbered questions, so here goes:
    1) How does the indy prep job market compare to the state sector?
    2) Does this vary a great deal regionally? I'd be particularly interested in what the situation looks like in and around London.
    3) I grauduated in 2009 with a 2.1 from a supposedly "prestigious" university in Scotland. I really don't like the sense of entitlement that a lot of people from these kinds of universities have, BUT things are getting desparate! I don't think this university on my record seems to count for much in the state sector - would it in the indy? Or will it just be gazumped by lots of Oxbridge applicants?
    4) I am a very sporty person - I played First XI football at university and have played semi-professionally since then. I get the impression that indies love sport. Would this count hugely in my favour?
    Thank you in advance!

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, numbers make my life easy!
    Q1 There are a lot fewer places, of course. Overall there has been less of a drastic fall in the number of indy jobs being advertised And the timing is a bit different. Many indies will advertise just after Easter, as staff mainly have to give a term's notice. Maintained schools will have a rush after half term May.
    Q2 Can't give you any details, I'm afraid. For actual schools,rather than obs, obviously London and SE generally have masses more concentrated in these areas than elsewhere. Hoave a lok at the ISC website for lists and maps.
    Q3 Depends entirely on the school! But what every one wants above all is outstanding teachers, so make sure that (a) you are (b) you prove it in the application and interview
    Q4 Yes, it will count in your favour - more than one sport and a willingness to have-a-go will count even more
    Don't forget to read the advice in the shortlisting clickables inside the welcome thread on the JiobSeekers Forum,
    Best wishes
    By popular demand! In response to Tessers e-mailing in: another Job Seminar now on Saturday 14th May:
    www.tesweekendworkshop25.eventbrite.com
    The next Moving onto Leadship seminar is Sunday 15th May.
    http://tesweekendworkshop24.eventbrite.com/
    E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!