1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo: Independent schools

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by anon3946, Jan 15, 2012.

1. I've found a vacancy in a very good private school in the area which states that NQT applications will be accepted. How would this then affect me moving into a state school in future if I wanted to do so? The school teaches the IGCSEs in Literature and Language and As/A level.

Many thanks

2. I've found a vacancy in a very good private school in the area which states that NQT applications will be accepted. How would this then affect me moving into a state school in future if I wanted to do so? The school teaches the IGCSEs in Literature and Language and As/A level.

Many thanks

3. Also wondering the same thing as I'm going to submit an application to a independent school. (Although they just do normal GCSEs and A Levels so perhaps the difference in curriculum is less of an issue).

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Hi there to both of you!
    Two stages to my reply.
    Firstly, most (but not all) Indy schools offer NQT registration and the normal induction, and at the end of it you are fully qualified to teach in any maintained school. You don't get a special "Indy-schools only" qualification or piece of paper. And doing your NQT induction year in a good indy school can be a very supportive way of moving into teaching.
    Yes you can do your Induction Year in an Independent School
    Read more about the Indy sector in the Independent Forum - read the clickables inside the Independent Welcome thread: Welcome: the Independent Schools’ Guide and FAQs
    Secondly, the issue of moving back into the maintained sector . . .
    Now there are several points here. One, whether your IGCE and IB experience will be valued? Probably not directly, you would have to make a case for it as transferable. Two: will they think that you have had an easy ride with fewer discipline problems? Yes, they might, and they would be correct in that one respect in many indy schools. But classroom management again is transferable. Three: would you actually ever want to move back? Ah, that's a whole new ballgame!
    Go to the Independent Forum and have a bit of a search, you'll find some threads where this whole question of returning to state is discussed at great length. At VERY great length.
    But before you can return to the maintained sector, you actually need to get that job in the indy school in the first place! So follow all the general advice - the steps are set out here:
    Dear Theo I need help!
    And also remember that the indy school is looking for someone keen, very keen, to join in the life of the school, offer clubs, activities, all sorts of extra-curricular (or co-curricular as it is sometimes called), so think hard about what you would like to offer them
    Best wishes.
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

5. Thanks Theo. I'm aware indy schools are very 'up' on extra curricular activities so am going to make sure my application is really sport on and highlight all the things I'd like to be involved in. (I'm also applying for state schools, and even one free school so will obviously try and make my application shine for those as well. Just finished doing the 6 actual application forms so now to move onto the letters)!

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

How about the Executive summaries?
    They need to be done BEFORE your letter, so that you home in on what each school wants.
    Best wishes.
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.

7. Yes, I'm going to do ES as well of course! Just need to re look over each of the schools person specs.

8. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Hope it all goes well!
    Best wishes.

9. Whoops! Sorry, I forgot to hotlist this, so missed the replies :S Thank you Theo- I chose not to apply to that particular school but shan't rule out a private school if the right one comes up.
    Many thanks :)