1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - Independent schools and importance of university attended

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Ozzie777, May 4, 2012.

1. Ozzie777

Ozzie777 New commenter

I am currently working in the maintained sector, but want to work at A-level in one of my academic subjects. I have put in a total of 40 applications - 14 of these have been to independent schools, but only resulted in one interview, whilst the 26 applications to maintained sector schools has resulted in 10 interviews. I have two degrees and am working towards an MSc. My first degree is from a university in Australia, my second and my MSc are with the Open University. Is this likely to be a major factor in preventing me from being shortlisted in independent schools and as such am I wasting my time putting in applications?

Thanks.

2. Ozzie777

Ozzie777 New commenter

I am currently working in the maintained sector, but want to work at A-level in one of my academic subjects. I have put in a total of 40 applications - 14 of these have been to independent schools, but only resulted in one interview, whilst the 26 applications to maintained sector schools has resulted in 10 interviews. I have two degrees and am working towards an MSc. My first degree is from a university in Australia, my second and my MSc are with the Open University. Is this likely to be a major factor in preventing me from being shortlisted in independent schools and as such am I wasting my time putting in applications?

Thanks.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

It might be, for a few of the top HMC schools.
    But more and more, the indy sector is looking for outstanding teachers who are willing to make a wide contribution to the school.
    How much did you write about the different sporting and other activities that you would like to train, lead, organise, develop? The whole extra-curricular or co-curricular side is very important to these schools.
    Have a look at the Independent Forum, open the Welcome thread there, and generally have a browse in the forum too. From reading other posts, you'll see the sort of thing that people consider important for getting a job in an indy school.
    Best wishes