1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo-independent school recruitment

Discussion in 'Independent' started by TheoGriff, Nov 15, 2011.

1. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Absolutely correct! They can and do. In fact, a good few of them haven't yet caught up with the statutory document called Safer Recruitment issued some 4 or 5 years ago, saying don't ask for CVs . . .
    Normally, yes. So the first thing that you do is go to the JobSeekers Forum and read this thread and then do as you are advised :)
    * * * * How to set up a Job Alert * * * *This will help you get notification of jobs as soon as they come in.
    You could try, but . . . to be honest, in most schools one of the jobs of the Head's PA is to ensure that letters like that don't get through to clutter up the Head's desk - she bins them . . . And to be even more honest, there is little or no chance at all that they will think: Oh, what a great letter. Let's just appoint this person without bothering to advertise and see who else is out there.
    If they have a vacancy they will advertise it. They will want to see who else IS out there, get a good field.
    What you can do is start preparing now. Read all the advice in the Welcome thread on JobSeekers about shortlisting, so you can write a super application. Read the Welcome thread here on Independent so you have a good picture of the indy sector.
    And above all, research the school, its website, do searches in the local papers, find out everything you can about it. Start increasing now your chances by working on your extra-curricular offerings.
    With all the above, you'll be ready when your JobAlert tells you about your dream job!
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

It can be great to work in an indy, because you can really teach . . .
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

3. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

I second that! And third it.............and fourth it!
    Dark side? Pah!

4. Hi there sanppyshark - I have worked in both state & independent. I think state school staff have a lot to offer the independent sector & there are some surprises (mostly pleasant) that you get if you move from state to independent. A lot depends on your outlook and the types of schools you know. For example, good state school teachers will:
    * have good classroom control from day one.
    * be able to differentiate work in lessons, keep track of pupils' progress & be able to accurately predict grades.
    * be aware of all the NC requirements and CP issues,
    Areas that some state school teachers my find different are:
    * additional staff duties (lunch, break, parents evenings, helping out on trips / choir / play / orchestra events, cover, invigilation)
    * longer school days & shorter school terms
    * homework gets handed in on time and you mark it before seeing the pupil in their next lesson. (Some parents complain when there is not enough homework set)
    * parents are more often 'on your side' if you have a pupil who is not 100% committed (after all they are paying you)
    * you get through much more syllabus content in a lesson
    * you are not stuck to NC requirements for KS1, KS2 & KS3 unless the school does SATS tests. Indeed - you can often go off syllabus with ease & extra resources!
    * you will be judged on how well your pupils perform at GCSE & A level with ''death by data analysis'' and possibly (in some schools) by how many pupils opt for your subject at A level.
    Wait for a job to be advertised & then apply for it - there is no point in sending out your CV as a cold calling exercise. It will just be binned and you may be unfavourably remembered, when you apply for a real job, as the 'chancer' who sent the unsolicited CV.
    If you get as far as an interview, do the interview lesson as you would for any school (intro / content / plenary).

5. I'm afraid that some people fear the state sector. In fact, top performing state schools (ones which are even more selective than state grammar schools - see the Sutton Trust reports) have much in common with the independent sector.
    There is a huge variation within the independent sector. The top middle range of schools are as academically strong as the top state schools and results are highly prized. The top fifty or so senior independent schools are very different. Forget the Billy Bunter stories. Things have changed in the last twenty five years. They are in effect special needs schools, but with the pupils all of very above average ability and with a significant cohort of academically gifted pupils. Only the brightest academics are even considered for interview as teachers in mainstream subjects, but they still have to contribute outside the curriculum and even here, good teaching is increasingly recognised as being more than just academic competence.

6. In what way are they special needs schools? I don't understand what you mean (and yes I know that special needs means that the mainstream curriculum does not cater for the educational needs of a learner etc etc)

7. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

They are "special needs" as the children are, more or less, all what the state school system would call "gifted and talented".
    In my first school half the staff was Oxbridge. In my second school I think it was approximately 75% of the staff, with at least half possessing higher degrees. Your's truly was one of the exceptions who came from a red-brick university.
    Now I may be going out on a limb here and I am only talking about my own personal experiences. These schools are not completely supportive to new members of staff ( the schools will back you up completely when it comes to external factors such as parents).
    What I am talking about is the teaching side of things. Schools such as this do not employ you to show you the ropes ( my current school will not hire anybody with less than five years of teaching experience unless it cannot be avoided and for a recent teaching position we had well over a hundred applicants) but expect you to able to handle things yourself. They do not expect to see problems in the classroom and they expect you to be self sufficient.
    These are very pressured environments where a number of students will have a very deep understanding of your subject ( one of my pupils, a few years ago, used to discuss her maths with Sir Roger Penrose, who was her next door neighbour ). If you have the self-belief and ability to cope, the personality to bring out the best in very bright students and the confidence to speak to parents and other staff with authority about your subject then go for it, because it really is a lot of fun ( and hard work )!