1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - Improving coursework after it has been internally assessed and standardised

Discussion in 'Independent' started by Dandolf, Apr 17, 2011.

1. <font face="Calibri">I am teaching at a top independent school. I have been told to allow more time for the worst pupils to improve their Controlled Assessment even though all the marking has been done and we have internally standardised their work. The following was sent to me via an email, needless to say in the interest of the innocent, names have been changed.</font><font face="Calibri">&ldquo;I think that the 6 pupils with C/D need to resubmit - with the objective of raising marks to a low B. Please could you give all possible help and support to these pupils to ensure that their marks are improved.</font><font face="Calibri">If any pupils with A/A* quibble about this, I suggest that you refer them to Roger (although you should of course encourage them to accept the situation). </font><font face="Calibri">I know how strongly you feel about the "fairness" of this so for the pupils with B I suggest that you use your judgement - in the spirit of fairness and consistent with the time available.&rdquo;</font> Can I just refuse to do this? Should I contact my union?

2. <font face="Calibri">I am teaching at a top independent school. I have been told to allow more time for the worst pupils to improve their Controlled Assessment even though all the marking has been done and we have internally standardised their work. The following was sent to me via an email, needless to say in the interest of the innocent, names have been changed.</font><font face="Calibri">&ldquo;I think that the 6 pupils with C/D need to resubmit - with the objective of raising marks to a low B. Please could you give all possible help and support to these pupils to ensure that their marks are improved.</font><font face="Calibri">If any pupils with A/A* quibble about this, I suggest that you refer them to Roger (although you should of course encourage them to accept the situation). </font><font face="Calibri">I know how strongly you feel about the "fairness" of this so for the pupils with B I suggest that you use your judgement - in the spirit of fairness and consistent with the time available.&rdquo;</font> Can I just refuse to do this? Should I contact my union?

3. noemie

noemie Occasional commenter

Have you done anything already in order to help them achieve higher? In my subject (MFL) we can do as many CA tasks as we want and just submit the best two. There is no way in hell I would send off a D grade piece of work without giving the kids an opportunity to submit another piece of work (I involved management and parents to let them know of the situation though). Now, if the kids perform at that level even with the extra piece of work that is a different matter, as clearly it's not the lack of hard work, but the fact they will never get anything higher.
    I'd say though that it's a bit late in the day for all of this to come up now. If you have already given them extra support/time to improve, then I'd point that out to management and refuse to do any more. If not, then to be honest I can see the point of your SMT, bearing in mind they're probably aiming for 100% A*-C.

4. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

I think you should be guided by the information that JCQ produce on behalf of all of the exam boards (all subject leaders should have a copy). Section 17.1 deals with this very point.
    In essence, if the work is produced under formal controlled conditions, the pupil has to be given a new task, and is not allowed to use any of their original work (except for the research that went into it).
    In other cases,

Normal

"Candidates must not be
    allowed to make amendments after the work has been submitted for final
    assessment by the teacher
    ".
    You should direct the attention of your SMT to this document, and if necessary point out that what has been proposed would be a contravention of the regulations for the exam. I need hardly add that, if the exam board were to become aware of such a contravention, the consequences for the pupils, yourself and the school could be devastating.

5. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Incidentally, if I was in that position, I'd have a discrete word with colleagues to see if the SMT has made similar requests in other subjects and, if so, advise them to read the same JCQ document about controlled assessment.

6. LOL, Theo - good advice.
    I would also suggest checking the procedures regarding the CAs for your subject. For example, in the subject that I teach, you could do substitute CAs in a bid to boost the marks, providing that they were the alternative tasks for the unit that was being taught i.e. not giving the student the same task again to improve. This would, of course, necessitate some extra tuition and time to do the CAs under controlled conditions. It is possible that this is what your senior management are alluding to...
    I think, however, the whole concept of CAs has come as a bit of a shock after a decade or more of coursework being done and re-done ad nauseum. It will take a while for this to sink in, I think - the idea of not being able to improve/ tinker with/ monitor seems to have been quite hard for some of our parents to grasp as well and the absence of study guides and websites offering easy information has upset many as well!
    Interestingly, this is one of the reasons that some schools wish to go to IGCSE, as this appears to be similar in format to the old style exams and/ or offers terminal assessment at the end of the 2 years. I am keeping an open mind but would be interested in what you all think. We have noticed that the CAs have kept the students focused and on task and the management of the work has been much easier - I already have quite full folders of marked and ordered work for each student in year 10 and there will be no more messing around with endless improvements or extra submissions as the deadline looms.