1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo- I'm going to have to put NEXT down as my present employer aren't I?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by anon3407, Nov 26, 2011.

1. Dear Theo (and others),

A job has come up and on the application form they want me to put the details of my most recent employer. Up until now I have been using my university course leader from my PGCE, and my mentor from one of my placement schools, however, as supply was being so slow I am now doing an Xmas job at NEXT (which is actually quite fun) so I could get a bit of regular income.

I'm guessing this means I'll have to put Next as my most recent employer, yes?

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

If they're your current employer then you'll have to put them down, but I would address this issue in your letter, saying something like,
    'Although currently having to take temporay work at Next, who may be unfamiliar with the demands of a teaching reference, perhaps your second reference could be considered first' No doubt Theo could suggest much better wording and possibly suggest something better.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, Lara's answer is based on something I said to another person with the same question, and is along the right lines.
    On the form, if there is a space where it asks for current employer, write: Temporary employment at Next, High Street, Bradford, BD3 4RT.
    However, where it asks for referees, do NOT put Next, put two education referees.
    I know that this is going against the instructions to give your current employer as a referee, but those forms were devised in the long distant past, as much as two or three years ago, when teaching applicants weren't taking just any job that they could.
    To cover yourself, have a short paragraph in your letter: I have given two education referees, as these are people who can spaek of my classroom skills and professional qualities. However, if you should also wish for a reference from my temporary employer in the retail trade, then please feel free to approach Mr Theo Griff, Branch Manager, Next, High Street, Bradford, BD3 4RT.
    They don't actually want a reference from Next, to be honest, so you have nothing to worry about not giving them as referees.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

4. Thanks guys, I'll be sure to include the paragraph in my letter.