1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo I'm expensive!

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by stllrnng, Jun 6, 2011.

1. I am currently working full time on a day to day supply contract in primary. I have loads of recent teaching experience and CPD I am thugh on UPS3. I keep getting rejected at the first stage I'm assuming this is because I'm expensive as I can fulfil all the personnel specifications really easily. What can I do to increase my chances of getting to the interview stage? Any suggestions much appreciated!

2. I am currently working full time on a day to day supply contract in primary. I have loads of recent teaching experience and CPD I am thugh on UPS3. I keep getting rejected at the first stage I'm assuming this is because I'm expensive as I can fulfil all the personnel specifications really easily. What can I do to increase my chances of getting to the interview stage? Any suggestions much appreciated!

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

You are right to suspect that this is playing a part. Flipping bonkers, in my view, that a school is obliged to pass over good, experienced, effective teachers because they can't afford them.
    *sigh*
    What you casn do is make yourself sound so desirable in your applicatioin that they are drooling at the thought of having you on their staff, despite the money.
    Follow all the advice in the shortlisting clickables inside the Welcome thread
    read theo's advice and do the executive summary people, it really does work, seriously!!!!
    taking Theo's Advice
    More expensive staff can get jobs; not quite UPS3, but still:
    Dear Theo, got a job! (i'll be MSP 6)
    Just make your application really stand out by being exactly what they want - and more! The more is v important, because as UPS3 you are expected to be doing more:
    “U3 teachers play a critical role in the life of the school. They provide a role model for teaching and learning, make a distinctive contribution to the raising of pupil standards and contribute effectively to the work of the wider team. They take advantage of appropriate opportunities for professional development and use the outcomes effectively to improve pupils’ learning “(STPCD).
    I reckon that to stand a chance you will need to set out very clearly in your letter what you would be doing to give value for money.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    New <u>Job Seminars</u> on Sunday 26 June.
    www.tesweekendworkshop29.eventbrite.com
    Probably more in the early autumn ready for the next lot of job ads to come out. Keep an eye out for the dates!

A new <u>Moving into Headship and SLT</u> seminar is on 18 June.
    www.tesweekendworkshop29.eventbrite.com
    See the full programme www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.Look forward to seeing you!