1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo... I'm back again...

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by anon261, Feb 22, 2011.

1. Dear Theo,
    It turns out that unless I want a minimum wage job, I have to apply for teaching posts as that it what I'm qualified to do (according to my local job centre).
    I can't afford to retrain in something else and with 2 small children, a motgage and a husband (who, btw takes more looking after than any of the others!!!), it looks like i'm stuck finding a teaching job! (Well, maybe things are just meant to be!)
    Here are my plans:
    1. RTT course in Primary Ed (to bring me back up to date)
    2. Some voluntary experience in a school
    3. Find out if I can extend my supply period (NQT)
    4. Find a part time post that fits in with my family (This would be ideal for me)

I really don't want to work full time in teaching - I really don't think I'd cope and I'd miss out on so much of my children's lives trying to maintain the full time position.
    Unfortunately I am aware that part time posts are few and far between. Do you have any suggestions that could spur me into a part time post?
    Also, when at the job centre, they were talking about a scheme where, if called for an interview, working for a week in that post to see if you're the right candidate for the school rather than being turned away. Apparently this is to get people into work sooner (although that must be a very stressful week!) I really can't see head teachers going for this - it sounds a bit desperate. What do you think?!
    Hello again and Many Thanks!
    Sara

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Welcome back gilbert124.
    Sorry to hear about your circumstances- it really is tough.

Re
    I have to say that's what I hoped for after my family, for exactly the same reasons. From my experience it's easier to 'negotiate' part-time work when in post rather than from outside. So what happens to all the other part-time teaching commitment, I hear you ask? Again just from my experience, the posts have tended to be offered to people with connections at the school. So any connections ,including voluntary work, would be helpful. (BTW all my longer-term supply posts have come via this method).
    I think this is typical Job-Centre staff talk, who haven't much idea about how schools work.