1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - illness and interview

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by eliane, Feb 21, 2012.

1. Hi Theo (and anyone else with helpful advice),
    I'm really lucky to have been invited to an interview on Friday... my problem is that I'm currently off sick with a nasty flu. As it is I can only see the following options:
    1. I pull out of the interview
    2. I go, even though I won't be at my best and will really struggle to prepare for it properly
    My hope would be to rearrange it - they must be keen on me as I got the call a few hours after I submitted the application (before the deadline) - but I know how amazingly unlikely that is.
    What do you think I should do?
    Many thanks

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

What about phoning the school explaining that you're currently off sick, but are offereing to go in and do the interview or 'would they care to re-schedule?' Shows your keeness (despite being unwell, therefore your reliability should yo be offered the post) and if they're keen on you might make them offer you an alternative day.

3. anon8315

anon8315 Established commenter

Mmm to be honest if you can I would go in; I appreciate it is not ideal and it's a horrible situation. I was signed off work when I went for my recent interview and I just found I got a sort of sugar rush that carried me through the teaching part and then the interview.
    I did make the mistake of eating a sandwich and making a really, really loud gurgling noise in front of the Deputy Head though - I don't reccommend this! [​IMG] I managed to get the job though so it can't have been too terrible!

4. modgepodge

modgepodge Occasional commenter

I'd call them and say you're off sick,see if they can rearrange but if not go in anyway. At least that way you've got a reason/excuse if you're a bit off on the day and they may take that in to consideration? Just guessing here. If you call and ask to rearrange what's the worst that can happen? They can't really decide not to employ you cos you called up to warn them you were ill?

5. anon8315

anon8315 Established commenter

The problem is that on interview you just have to take as you find - you wouldn't think "well, candidate A was better than candidate B, but candidate B was ill so we'll appoint her." It would unfortunately come down to: who was better, candidate A or candidate B?
    It is really difficult, and it's similar when you get invited to two interviews on the same day - arghh! Nightmare!
    With the best will in the world though, when I recently interviewed candidates for a position there was no way we'd have been able to rearrange. It involved me coming off timetable for a day, cover organised for various members of staff to observe a lesson, arrangements for refreshments for the candidates as well as risking a really good candidate escaping and accepting a job elsewhere - I think if you ever have to ask for an interview to be rearranged it would have to be before rather than afterwards. x

6. Thank you all for your helpful comments.
    I'm still feeling pretty rough but I'll take your advice and go anyway. I received all the interview details today and the school has impressed me so much I really can't miss this opportunity. It'll be my first interview in 5 years though so I'm hoping I can pull it together enough to impress them!

7. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

[​IMG]
    Bestest wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Win That Teaching Job seminar on Saturday February 25th, and also the Moving into Headship or SLT seminar on Saturday 17th March.
    www.tesweekendworkshop87.eventbrite.com
    www.tesweekendworkshop90.eventbrite.com

8. Update- I went, didn't feel great but I don't think it affected my performance. Didn't get the job but got really positive feedback direct from the head, who has promised to put in a good word for me at another school. Had a good day there but was actually relieved when it wasn't offered as it didn't feel like the right role for me - even though it was an amazing school.

Thanks for the advice- going really was the best thing I could have done :)

9. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

It sounds like a really positive experience, so I am delighted for you. On to the next one now!
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Moving into Headship or SLT seminar on Saturday 17th March.

10. Well, the head from that school spoke to the head from the school I interviewed at today... and I got the impression that they really wanted me from the moment I arrived! I happily accepted the job as the place felt right from the very start.
    Just goes to show that positive things can come from seemingly difficult situations.
    Thanks all!

11. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

TOLD YOU SO!
    I said it sounded positive!
    Have awarded your star in the appropriate place.
    :)

Best wishes
    I shall be doing the Moving into Headship or SLT seminar on Saturday 17th March.

12. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Sounds like the perfect fit, job and school for you. Congratulations.
    [​IMG]

13. I am so happy for you went for my 5th interview today, two internal candidates got the posts. It's the third time out of five IC got the jobs, trying hard to stay positive and keep applying. Well done and all the best in your new post.