1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo: IfL number

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by DaveWalnut, Jul 12, 2011.

1. Hi,
    I'm in the process of completing an application form for a teaching job at an academy school and the form asks for my IfL number. I've not seen this on any other form I've completed nor was it mentioned at any point during my PGCE.
    I know that the GTC and DFES numbers are the same, is the IfL number also the same? If not, how do I go about getting an IfL number?
    Thanks.

2. mmm...Milk

mmm...Milk New commenter

The IfL number is similar to the GTC number, but it is for lecturers - those in the post 16 learning (not in 6th form I don't think). You don't need one unless you are going to be teaching in FE / HE and community learning courses, I don't know why they are asking for it, unless they are prepared to take non QTS / those with QTLS (a qualified lecturer rather than a teacher). As if there were a shortage of teachers. To get an IFL number, you have to pay £68 I think a year, though it has been reduced to about £40 now, or less if you earn less than a certain wage. You also have to prove 30 hours of CPD a year or you get kicked out. There is a whole thing going on at the mo about it because the IFL wanted to charge £68 a year to all lecturers, even though a considerable number of they are houly paid now. the UCU have been balloting members on boycotting the IFL.
    So, you don't need one, I don't know why they are asking for one, and you dont' want to have one cause they cost a fortune! [​IMG]
    Good luck with the job application

3. Somebody has got their wires crossed. It's people working in FE who are legally obliged to be members of IfL - the most useless organisation since Adam left Eden - and to pay handsomely for the privilege. Many of us are refusing to be robbed in this way, but people applying for new jobs are right in the line for bullying if the employer sees fit to kow-tow to the IfL gang. You've no need to worry as far as I can see, but spare a thought for the 200,000 IfL victims who have.