1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - I resigned after 2 weeks, do I mention it on CV or not put it on?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by marthasmum, Nov 13, 2011.

1. Can any one advise me please? I accepted a job offer, but left after 2 weeks because I knew that the job wasn't for me - I was working in a secondary school for children with behavioural difficulties and the behaviour was too extreme. I didn't feel I was coping very well, although it was early days and the children had to get used to me, but I was getting a migraine every day from the stress, and took the decision to leave. My question is, as I was only there for 2 weeks and didn't have a contract or anything, do I still put it on my CV, and do I write the Head as a referee on subsequent applications, or keep the referee as the Head from my placement school (along with the Uni reference)?
    I am now going to be applying for Primary posts (I am 7-14 trained).
    Any advice would be gratefully received!

2. Well I suppose honesty is the best policy but nowadays employers might well be put right off if you mention this to them. I personally would not mention that you were ever employed there (putting my neck on the line here). Just 'fill' the gap with something else like you did supply. This should then give you another chance.

3. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Ignore this - take it from me, you MUST declare this post, even though you were only there for two weeks.
    To fail to do so is gross misconduct if you are appointed and they subsequently find out - which (trust me) they will, since your employment records will show it.

4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I'm glad someone as knowledgeable has Middlemarch has answered . Take her advice.

5. Thank you for your advice. I am sure that the school will give me a good reference, as they were pleased with my work and were sorry to see me go. They said they understood that the job was an extremely difficult one, and that the school was not for everyone. They said they were glad that I had been upfront about it and hadn't just stayed for the money, with the future possibility of the children picking up that I wasn't enjoying it or whatever. It just seems a bit cheeky to ask for a reference from them after just 2 weeks of work.

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

You must indeed declare this post - and it probably also makes sense to have a paragraph about it in your letter, as they will wonder about it.
    You can say that you left on very good terms with the school, so much so that you are giving the Head as one of your referees.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

7. Thank you for your help :)