1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - I need to make a decision!

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by deeley, Mar 16, 2012.

1. deeley

deeley New commenter

I have been at my school for many years. Though I adore the staff and children I am very frustrated about many decisions this year and it gets me down.
    Another school nearby has an attractive job, and I could do it, but I'm finding the idea
    Of starting again quite daunting. Some days I'm full of excitement, others I'm quite anxious and edgy.

Am I a little institutionalised from being at one school my whole career so far?
    Is this mixed emotion normal? Help!

2. Hello
    I know I'm not Theo but I can share your feelings! I am leaving my school at Easter after nearly 4 years there and I feel definitely institutionalised so can only imagine how you must be feeling! I visited my new school yesterday and since then have had severe tummy pains, off my food and feel quite teary if anyone even asks about my new job! This I am just putting down to the stress of changes and "the unknown"! But I have made myself a list of the pro's of leaving and starting my new school (I am up to 17!) and try to refer to it when I feel panicky!
    Everyone I've talked to says it's better to move around in teaching rather than stay in the same place for too long and I do agree with them but it is easier said than done!
    Go for it! You have nothing to lose! Yes it'll be scary, starting any new job is but you'll be so busy and depending on how much you throw yourself into your new role, you should settle in quickly!
    Good luck!
    Now am I off to heed my own advice........![​IMG]

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Not Theo I'm afraid, but i think the thought of change can be a little frightening at first. At your present school, you will have well-established relationships with staff, pupils and often many of the parents. You know the prioritities particular to your school, how the curriculum works on your school etc. All this will mean a steep learning curve initially in a new setting, BUT it's not impossible and you might find you might even relish the challenge!
    Schools often go through periods of change and upheaval and it could be this which is unsettling you. Please try not to let that influence yourdecision to move somewhere else, You need to move because you need a new challenge, want to explore new possiblities etc., all of which, if you stick with it, you could potentially do within your present setting.
    So my advice, for what it's worth, is not to rush any decisions. But you may indeed be 'ready for a change' and these 'feelings' may indicate that.

4. Just reading you pot and the replies has set me off!! [​IMG] I can empathie too.
    I've only been at my school for 4 months, but settled in so well and love the team in the department and most of the children too!!
    I start my new post on Monday and even though I know it is the best thing for me to do, I DON'T WANT TO GO!
    Change is always a big thing for me, and the thaught of having to start again is worrying me.
    But like I tell the children, sometime you've got to do things you don't really want to, but it's good for you in the end.
    Best wishes and good luck in your new post.
    S4mm13

5. deeley

deeley New commenter

Exactly how I feel, you're all spot on.
    I hate change, just like uve said. I've never coped well with it.
    I have a lovely group of friends here and we watch each others backs, pick each other up, share our highs and lows.

It doesn't help they keep saying they wud b gutted if I left!

I just wish you could fast forward to check if is right decision.

My Brain says go, my heart says stay and for two weeks I have wrestled with it.
    I worry I'm not sleeping now and don't want to make a tired decision,
    But Monday is closing date so it forces my hand.

Friends who are leaving/left say go.
    Friends who are staying say stay!

Arrrgh! How did I create this battle in my own head!!!

6. deeley

deeley New commenter

Of course I could make up my mind to go for it, and then not get it! Oh the irony...

7. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

We cannot decide for you, of course. But you know that!
    So waht i suggest is that, having read the 2 shortlisting clickables inside the Welcome thread, you draw up an executive summary for the job.
    If you then feel more cheerful about it, because you can see how well you fit what they need, then that could help you make the decision.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Moving into Headship or SLT seminar on Saturday 17th March.
    www.tesweekendworkshop90.eventbrite.com