1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo I need some guidance on interview

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by sebas, Apr 19, 2012.

1. Dear Theo
    I am trying to return to full time teaching after 5 years of doing supply because I was doing a MA in fine art and I felt I needed to give myself time to pursue my art and theatre projects.
    I am a MFL teacher and so this is a bit hard to explain at interview since I was progressing nicely to second in MFL before deciding on this move which makes my CV look patchy.
    I have an interview next week and feel that this period will make me seem a bit flakey although in reality this time has allowed me to focus more on what I want and look forward to getting involved with full time education again.
    I am 46 years old, on point 2 of the UPS, which I feel also puts me at a disadvantage against more recent graduates.
    What do you think will be the head's major concerns about my suitability for the job.
    Seb

2. Dear Theo
    I am trying to return to full time teaching after 5 years of doing supply because I was doing a MA in fine art and I felt I needed to give myself time to pursue my art and theatre projects.
    I am a MFL teacher and so this is a bit hard to explain at interview since I was progressing nicely to second in MFL before deciding on this move which makes my CV look patchy.
    I have an interview next week and feel that this period will make me seem a bit flakey although in reality this time has allowed me to focus more on what I want and look forward to getting involved with full time education again.
    I am 46 years old, on point 2 of the UPS, which I feel also puts me at a disadvantage against more recent graduates.
    What do you think will be the head's major concerns about my suitability for the job.
    Seb

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

That's a nice easy question to answer: Are you an outstanding teacher?
    That's what schools want, so show that you are. Buy the book that I recommend in the thread below.
    This thread here gives links to two more threads that are of interest to you.
    https://community.tes.co.uk/forums/p/566477/7379881.aspx#7379881
    We have a tradition here that when somebody gets a job, they start a brand-new thread called Dear Theo - I got that job! We look forward to yours!
    Best wishes