1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - I need help in getting shortlisted

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by VelvetChalk, Mar 7, 2012.

1. VelvetChalk

VelvetChalk New commenter

Hi, I am an NQT that is Primary trained but most of my experience is Reception- Year 3. In the past year I have applied for over 50 jobs and not got a single interview. I always visit the school and appear interested and ask questions and spend lots of time on my forms but I never get an interview. I just have a few questions. 1) I successfully covered a class for 1 and half terms but as it was sickness cover that kept getting extended so I didnt start NQT induction. During this time I did all 28 reports,parents evening, extra curricular activities, supervised/mentored a BTEC student and had a successful Ofsted inspection. How do I convey my experience while still stating I have 3 induction terms to do? 2) All LA forms have a box for further information to support applications in the form, I am never sure whether to do a cover letter as well. If so, what information do I put where and how long should my cover letter be? 3) I am not sure which referees to put down on my application form as there are 2 referee spaces. I have my PGCE tutor, HT for long term supply school and my supply agent. 4) I am dyslexic (another reason I am so worried about forms) do I state this or leave it to be disclosed at interview? 5) Due to a family bereavement it took me 2 years to do my PGCE (did a placement the following academic year) and I always write PGCE 2008-2010, will this look odd when HT's read it, coupled with the fact I have now been on supply over a year? Sorry for all the questions I am at my wits end. Thanks so much!

2. VelvetChalk

My apologies for the block of text, Chrome doesn't seem to like bulleting!

3. I did my PGCE course over 2 years as well due to an accident I was in, and this hasn't stopped me from getting shortlisted, as I have mad a number of interviews. Not got that elusive job yet, but I can safely say that this is it.
    Some application forms I have come across, do ask for reasons in the last 5 years or so, reasons for absences over 3/10 days and usually put this here. Even though, when this section hasn't been here and I hadn't put anything, it hasn't stopped schools from interviewing me. It has only been brought up once or twice at an interview but it is probably mentioned somewhere in my reference from University, even if briefly.
    Hope that helps! :)

4. VelvetChalk

Thanks for the advice Patchi and Theo!

Fingers crossed for an interview soon! :)

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Crossed fingers AND toes for you!

Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Moving into Headship or SLT seminar on Saturday 17th March.
    www.tesweekendworkshop90.eventbrite.com