1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo, I have just been offered an interview for a head of dept in an indy school.

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by VigarG, Mar 13, 2012.

1. I have been offered an interview for a head of department in an independent boarding school. I have taught in the state sector for all of my career. How would the interview differ from that of a state school?

2. I have been offered an interview for a head of department in an independent boarding school. I have taught in the state sector for all of my career. How would the interview differ from that of a state school?

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Well done on getting that interview!
    Go to the Indy Forum and have a browse around there. Read my clickables inside the Indy Welcome thread.
    In general they will want what a state school wants: outstanding teachers with high expactations who are prepared to go the extra mile. They will expect that extra mile to include a good contribution to the extra-curricular provision, so think about that. They may also ask you questions about dealing with pushy parents (but they won't use that word, and neither should you!) and dealing with their expectations.
    A good browse arounf the Indy Forum - do a search on "interview" will be useful.
    We have a tradition here that when you get the job, you start a brand new thread called iDear Theo - I got that job! We look forward to reading yours!
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Moving into Headship or SLT seminar on Saturday 17th March