1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - I have a problem with Referees.

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by natalienoodle, Mar 23, 2011.

1. Hi, I have a problem with my referees that I'm not sure how to solve.
    I'm an NQT, qualified last year, working as a supply teacher currently looking for a permanent position. I looked for permanent work last year and put down my Uni and final placement mentor as my references. My problem is that on at least one occasion last year I was turned down for employment based on my referee. The head was very nice about it and said that it wasn't that it was a negative reference but it was incomplete and virtually unreadable and it had put her off employing me even though she felt my lesson was very good. There was also a hint that another school had had a problem with my reference too but they weren't quite as honest about it.
    Obviously this time I'm keen to avoid this problem so I was going to put my mentor from my first placement down as a referee this time. However, I can't get hold of him to ask if it's ok and I don't think it'd be right to put him as a reference without his permission. And anyway it may look bad that my only teaching reference would be from over a year ago at the beginning of my course.
    So, in a nutshell what do I do. Risk putting my second placement mentor down again? Or put my first mentor down without informing him, which I know is bad form (and may affect a had teacher's decision to employ me as it was so long ago)? My supply agency has said that they don't give references so I think that option is out too.
    Aaaanyhoo, I'm very confused. Any help would be much appreciated.
    Natalie.

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

At the end of a stint of supply I used a HT from a school where I'd done a lot of supply. You could use a couple of those if you have them?

Other than that, putting down your mentor will be fine. Yes it is good form to ask, but presumably you asked at the end of placement if he could write you a reference? He won't mind now as he'll know it is more or less impossible for you to ask.

3. Quite honestly I can't remember if I did ask him! It was over a year ago that I last saw him and the year has been very hectic since then. I'm not sure he would expect a request as normally it's not the first placement mentor that provides a reference.
    The thought of asking a school I've taught in as supply has crossed my mind. However, I don't think I've been in a school regularly enough for anyone to give me a reference. And, as silly as it is, I feel a little aprehensive to ask. [​IMG]

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

The legal requirement is your current employer in a post involving children. This means the agency, but they are usually rubbish references - just say briefly that they employ you. You could get round this by giving a current supply Head or Head of Dept or Co-ordinator. This would count as your current employer.
    So you'll have to gear up your courage! Is there a school where you have taught more than once? that should do it.
    Do read the advice clickables inside the Welcome thread to get the best advice on applications and interview preparation.
    Best of luck!
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews. The next Job Application seminar where you can meet me in on Saturday 2 April.
    www.tesweekendworkshop19.eventbrite.com
    E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!