1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo, I got two jobs

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by philjerning, Dec 12, 2015.

1. philjerning

philjerning New commenter

Following my post in November on Workplace dilemmas: Nightmare situation, support plan and all
    I can't believe how quickly my situation has turned around.

I have been offered 2 jobs in LA schools both Full time but temporary contract for the rest of the academic year.

One through the supply agency and the other through a school I applied to.

I now have the pleasure of choosing but I can't decide.

The school through the supply is offering a better pay with a clause to be permanent in September if I am happy.
    They would also pay one day a week during all holidays.

The other school is offering what I am earning now also with a clause to be permanent in September. I guess they will pay over the holidays. I am not sure.

What are the benefits of working directly through the school over working through a supply agency?

If I am with the supply agency, can I still claim continous service?

I would be grateful for any advice.

P.S: Thank you for your advice on USP and ES.

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

An excellent outcome from what was, indeed, a nightmare situation!

For the benefit of other readers, I recommend that you read this advice article below. @philjerning didn't, and was found out, as he tells us in his other thread, and as a result the job offer was withdrawn after he had handed in his notice. He could have been left with no job at all.

What excuse can I give for going to interview?

But all's well that ends well, and he has the chance to stay in teaching after all.

Generally, better conditions of service (sick and maternity/paternity leave, notice period, etc).

I believe not.

I cannot make the decision for you, but my guess is that it has to be made fast, bearing in mind other information about the two schools.

Big sigh of relief, eh? ;)

Best wishes

3. marlin

marlin Star commenter

Don't assume anything! You must check.