1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - I got the job!

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by anon2145, Apr 19, 2012.

1. Dear Theo and all
    I haven't posted so much, but have read loads of advice on here, studied the clickables and interview advice and bought the Pimping Your Lesson book. They have worked and I got my first job today after my second interview at a great school ! Oh - and it was the first application in which I used an Executive Summary as well. So I can confirm that they do work.
    Thanks for all the advice, and for those still looking, please do not give up. I really believe it is a case of finding the right school. I didn't do much differently to my last unsuccessful interview, it's just that this school was The One.

Lara

2. Dear Theo and all
    I haven't posted so much, but have read loads of advice on here, studied the clickables and interview advice and bought the Pimping Your Lesson book. They have worked and I got my first job today after my second interview at a great school ! Oh - and it was the first application in which I used an Executive Summary as well. So I can confirm that they do work.
    Thanks for all the advice, and for those still looking, please do not give up. I really believe it is a case of finding the right school. I didn't do much differently to my last unsuccessful interview, it's just that this school was The One.

Lara

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

You're a star, a twinkly star! Well done to you, Jamie'sMum!

Super, super, super!
    [​IMG]
    Now read this and Bump it:
    Got a Job Offer? What to do now . . .
    *** Do read it - very important to get everything right! ***
    Best wishes in that new job - in the school that is THE ONE!
    Best wishes

4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Oh CONGRATULATIONS Jamiesmum!
    When you've put Jamie to bed, go open that
    [​IMG]

5. moomin4

moomin4 New commenter

What do you mean clickables And where is the interview advice and info on exec summary....sounds like I need it to have the same luck as you.. Well done..

6. Hi there - the links I mean are all in the top thread on this board. There's loads there on how to do the application, and also interview questions and tips.
    Good luck to you!

7. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

The Welcome Thread at the top of the forum.
    My advice on writing applications is contained mainly in those shortlisting clickables inside the welcome thread here on this Forum. Also, you should read the FAQs.
    For an effective application, you should send:
    • an application form with every bit filled in, no "See letter"
    • an application letter OR personal statement. Not both but certainly one of them.
    • a cover letter ONLY if you do a personal statement. See FAQs inside the Welcome thread
    • an Executive summary. If there's a space on the form, put it in there; if not, put it at the end of your letter so that it gets printed out automatically. The shortlisting clickables in the Welcome thread explain about an executive summary.
    But if you are really noy having any luck, perhaps you should be going to this:
    S100. Winning That Teaching Job – Saturday 28th April - Making the best of your application – How to make sure your application gets noticed - How to shine atInterview
    Presented by Helen Beckett and Lynne Johnson
    For more information and to register please visit: www.tesweekendworkshop100.eventbrite.co.uk
    Best wishes

8. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

A HUGE Congratulations Lara (OP) [*]
    So brilliant to have got a post at only your second interview, you must have been fabulous. Wishing you lots of happiness there xx

9. Thank you everybody.
    I also meant to add that of the three applications I submitted, this was the only school that I didn't visit in advance. I know that some schools don't shortlist unless you've visited (I was told this by a Head at one school) but obviously not all do, as in this case. Whether it made a difference that this is a middle school and the others were Primary I don't know but thought it was worth a mention. I know it's hard to visit schools in advance sometimes and that people worry that it might spoil their chances.
    Wishing everybody loads of luck.

Lara