1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - I got the job!

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by bar23, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Dear all,
    I am so excited I have been offered and accepted my first proper teaching job.
    I have been working as a supply since finishing my PGCE in summer 2010 and I am really looking forward to having my own class.
    The post is a maternity cover and it won't count towards my NQT, but I am very excited and am also looking forward to having a break from job applications for a while. [​IMG]

2. Dear all,
    I am so excited I have been offered and accepted my first proper teaching job.
    I have been working as a supply since finishing my PGCE in summer 2010 and I am really looking forward to having my own class.
    The post is a maternity cover and it won't count towards my NQT, but I am very excited and am also looking forward to having a break from job applications for a while. [​IMG]

3. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

Congrats on the job but even if it's just a term you should still be doing it under induction conditions!

4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I agree with moony you need to see if they'll help you use it towards induction. After all a maternity cover is quite a long time and even if the change in the rules to extend the period for induction to 5 years comes through you will have started that time by taking on the post and the clock's ticking.
    That aside CONGRATULATIONS.[​IMG]

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

You're a star, a twinkly star! Well done to you, Bar!

Super, super, super!
    [​IMG]
    Now read this and Bump it:
    Got a Job Offer? What to do now . . .
    *** Do read it - very important to get everything right! ***
    You must be feeling SO pleased to have a job, when does it start? And WHY ON EARTH is it not inductable? Check with James on the NQT Forum - unless it's just a few weeks, it should be!
    SECOND NEW JOB OF THE NEW YEAR!
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

6. Congrats on the job! Hopefully if it's long enough you'll be able to start your induction. Enjoy being back in the classroom on a perm basis. :)

7. welshchocoholic1

welshchocoholic1 Senior commenter

Congratulations bar23[​IMG]!

8. Many thanks for all the kind messages.
    The post is in an indie school and the school has said it does not put teachers on temporary contracts through induction. However, as I have already completed 4 terms of supply in the state sector, I would not be able to continue supply work because the changes to the induction deadline are not yet in force.
    Hopefully I will gain some useful experience which I can then use on applications forms in the future.
    Many thanks again - forums such as this have really helped when I have been feeling disheartened. [​IMG]

9. Just to update you. I have had two fantastic terms in the maternity cover post and the school has agreed to put me through my NQT year. There is still the possibility that the teacher will come back afetr Christmas, but hopefully the school will transfer me to another maternity post so I can complete the year. [​IMG]

10. VelvetChalk

VelvetChalk New commenter

Congrats! :)

There is a new 5 year rule for nqt supplies where you can do 5 years of short term from your qts date (so for you you can supply up to July 2015). There is also no deadline/set time to complete induction. So if your post ends next summer you still have 2 years of supply if you don't secure a post afterwards. All the details are on the dfe website.