1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - I got the job!!!

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by princesstulip, Dec 6, 2011.

1. princesstulip

princesstulip New commenter

I can't believe it.... doesn't feel real yet and I won't be entirely happy until I get it in writing!
    Thank you Theo for all your advice. The executive summary DEFINITELY works, I used it for 8 applications, got 3 interviews and now been offered by first teaching job at a lovely school. Thank you to everyone else on here for support and good wishes.
    I feel very embarrassed now for moaning earlier about how awful I thought my interview was. thank you
    Lara mfl 05 for the flowers to cheer me up. I genuinely thought I'd stuffed it up. Just goes to show interviewers are not looking for perfection, just someone they think will fit in I think.
    Very best luck to everyone else applying and going to interviews!

2. princesstulip

I can't believe it.... doesn't feel real yet and I won't be entirely happy until I get it in writing!
    Thank you Theo for all your advice. The executive summary DEFINITELY works, I used it for 8 applications, got 3 interviews and now been offered by first teaching job at a lovely school. Thank you to everyone else on here for support and good wishes.
    I feel very embarrassed now for moaning earlier about how awful I thought my interview was. thank you
    Lara mfl 05 for the flowers to cheer me up. I genuinely thought I'd stuffed it up. Just goes to show interviewers are not looking for perfection, just someone they think will fit in I think.
    Very best luck to everyone else applying and going to interviews!

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Wow, what a turn around!
    All that worry about having 'messed up'!
    Yes it does show how important is the 'fit' to the school.
    So CONGRATULATIONS! Well done. Gp celebrate probably your best Christmas present.
    [​IMG]

4. Congratulations!!! xx

5. princesstulip

Aw thanks both of you!

6. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

I'm thrilled for you - my goodness - what a day!!!!
    Very well done and ....

Good luck in your new job!

[​IMG]

7. welshchocoholic1

welshchocoholic1 Senior commenter

Congratulations princesstulip [​IMG]!, especially as you thougt the lesson didn't go well. Hope you're really happy in your new school. x

8. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

You're a star, a twinkly star!
    Super, super, super!
    [​IMG]
    Now read this and Bump it:
    Got a Job Offer? What to do now . . .
    *** Hope you are doing all this - the advice is really important ***
    You must be feeling SO pleased to have a job, and will be able to get the start of induction under your belt.
    P.S. Interflora has called on the Flowers thread . . .
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

9. Well done! Wonderful! :)

10. princesstulip

Urm this is going to seem really paranoid... but I don't know yet if I can really believe I've got this job based only on a phone conversation.
    I know it will still depend on references, CRB, all that stuff (none of which should be a problem!) but is the verbal offer official in some capacity or do I need to wait for a letter to know I've got the job? I haven't told anyone except my partner yet or let myself celebrate in case I'm being preemptive and end up seriously disappointed! Probably just because this is my first ever teaching job offer and hasn't sunk in properly. I've read the information on here about what to do after job offers but I'm just not sure if I have a "proper" offer until I get that letter!

11. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

princesstulip, in law, a verbal contract is as binding as a written one, hence why one can't 'pull out' of a job after a verbal 'yes'.
    If it's your first post everything must seem a bit overwhelming. Hopefully Theo will pop in later to reinforce this.
    However in the meantime , have you considered calling the school and seeing if you could have a couple of informal visits to get to know the school/class, which should reassure you they're expecting you. Would show an enthuusiam and will help you prepare for next term.
    Best wishes.

12. princesstulip

Lara, thank you for your reassurance!
    While the head was still on the phone after offering the job I asked if I can go in for a few days before the holiday. I think that's especially important as I'll be teaching reception and want to make myself known to the parents before waltzing in come january! He was happy about that and told me to arrange it once I get the letter so I can take in documents at the same time.
    So it does sound official... I just can't believe it yet!!

13. Oh congratulations princesstulip, that is absolutely fantastic news!! Well done you!!