1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo: I got the job!

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by rahmara, Jul 16, 2011.

  1. Hi Theo...

    I hope you're well. You might remember me posting a new thread a week ago asking for advice on whether to call the EYFSco regarding an internal vacancy. Well, I didn't call up because on the morning of the day I was due to call, I received a call to say that a school where I'd been doing PPA cover once a week for a term have requested me back for a year! It's for maternity cover but I don't think I'll be able to do my NQT year as there are 2 NQT's starting in September. I'm getting my consultant to persuade them if I can do even a term which would be fantastic.

    I'm ecstatic and have been waiting for a very long time. They're really pleased to have me back and I'm very surprised that they still remember me after 7 months and so do the children!

    I wish everyone the best of luck with job hunting and something will come round...good things do come to those who wait!

  2. minnieminx

    minnieminx New commenter

    A maternity cover (is it full time?) for a year must count for your induction. The school have no choice in this. The fact that they have other NQTs is irrelevant. You must, absolutely, must insist on doing induction while there, you would be daft not to and the school are not allowed to say no.

    Well done on the post and who knows where it may lead...
  3. Thanks guys...

    I know, I was a bit disappointed when I was told by my consultant I might not be able to get it done and she'd only told me after i'd verbally agreed on the understanding that I could get it completed. Although my other consultant thinks I should be able to...I'll pop over and ask James...it'll be a waste of a year if I couldn't get even a single term done!

  4. TheoGriff

    TheoGriff Star commenter

    You're a star, a twinkly star!
    Super, super, super!
    The first thing to do is to read this thread:
    Got a Job Offer? What to do now . . .
    and then bump it for other people to see.
    Now I'm no NQT expert, but I also believe that they have to do induction for you.
    But . . . you don't wan't to scare them and lose the job.
    So this is what I suggest (after my friend James has confirmed it).
    Keep quiet, don't push it. Get your official offer letter from them. Do your official reply as in my thread about What To Do Now. Then sit quiet with your head down and say nothing. With a bit of luck you'll also get your contract (which doesn't have to say anything about NQT induction). Sign it and send it back. But even if you don't get it back, just sit still.
    Then wait and see what happens when you begin the job.
    If you are clearly on induction conditions, then well and good. If you are not, then chat casually to the other NQTs, and then in great surprise go to your Head of Department or KS Co-ordinator, whoever is your line manager, and say you can't understand why you aren't getting the NQT extra time as the others are, and what about your support etc etc.
    At this stage they could still withdraw the job; in September it would be too late.
    Well done and very best wishes to you.
    TheoGriff. Member of the TES Careers Advice Service.
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.

Share This Page